Resi material shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Just got off the phone, Arlington is 6-8/wks lead time on >IN STOCK< items shipping out of PA. They will Red or Blue ship immediately, which is what I had to do to get my items.

The problem is the TN warehouse is being depleted of stock because they’re shipping on time. And from what I see PA is low stock on a lot of stuff too now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Definitely makes a person contemplate the type of jobs I want to focus on-
(i.e. jobs that are less material intensive and more focused on labor)
My materials are usually about 20% of the total price. I do mostly resi remodels.

Occasionally I do a new house, and materials are about 30-35 of the total price

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Went to a Home Depot yesterday and they only had 14cu in remodel boxes. Wanted at least 18 cu in or more. Went to a hardware store, same situation. Metal box stock seems OK, but I need remodel boxes for something I'm doing and they just don't have large enough ones. I tried Amazon today and found a 3 pack of Carlon 20 cu in remodel boxes and ordered it. Won't be here until April 2nd, but that's fine. The price seemed high, but I don't remember what they used to cost. Didn't seem much worse than the small ones Home Depot had on the shelf.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Went to supply house today and 12-2 and 14-2 1000ft are on back ordered and price on delivery are double what I got it for not 2 months ago. Just got a price for 500kcmil CU 1000ft .... almost fell over, $12,000.00. Was too dumbfounded to even ask about AL for this.
This is week 3 with no blue boxes at HD or big blue.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
This is week 3 with no blue boxes at HD or big blue.
I'm sure glad everybody else likes those blue boxes, because it leaves the fiberglass ones for me 😁

I'm about to go on a buying spree because I have a couple of new houses coming up soon, and I'm gonna need stuff

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
I havent run into the problems you guys have run into. In my area no problems with pipe, wire and steel boxes (yet)

My problem is a 9 to 10 week lead time for a 6 position residential meter bank with mains ( 200 A per position, 400 Amp bus). Never had that before. Neither of the supply houses I called has a clear answer as to why. Both said it wasnt normal. BTW as I am in northern Illinois, it does have to have a CECHA rating, so I can't use just any fitting...

Just my 2 cents worth

Howard

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
I talked to the guy building that is building two houses across the street from mine, and he told me he wasn’t planning to build any more houses the rest of the year.
He said that the lumber package for one of the houses he is building has doubled in cost, and appraisers did not want to factor that into the appraisal.
He said he couldn’t build them fast enough for all the buyers that are looking to move here.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm sure glad everybody else likes those blue boxes, because it leaves the fiberglass ones for me 😁

I'm about to go on a buying spree because I have a couple of new houses coming up soon, and I'm gonna need stuff
I’ve used the Fiberglas ones a few times and they really aren’t bad but I was resistant at first. There is too much resemblance to the old brown Bakelite boxes.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I’ve used the Fiberglas ones a few times and they really aren’t bad but I was resistant at first. There is too much resemblance to the old brown Bakelite boxes.
I think I would have hated those bakelite boxes.
If I remember correctly, the metal clamp in the multigang boxes made the cable go down toward the back corner.

Same as the blue boxes. That's my biggest gripe with those ones, too.

And the fiber boxes hold their shape when you nail them on tight. Plastic warps to where sometimes it's almost a parallelogram

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah seems big orange has been getting in some allied molded to fill in for the shortage of blue bombers. I welcome it and hope they keep allied in stock from now on.
In Kansas City, every HD has stocked fiber boxes for the past 30 years. That's what almost every pro wants around here

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Haven't noticed substantial shortages in NE Georgia

But this week came to our house in Crystal River, FLA, to add outside disconnect and change out panel

CES out of 1 1/2 PVC

And nearest #2 SER is in Ocala, 1 hour plus drive

Looks like another FLA trip (in work truck) be coming up soon, my usual supplier in GA has 2 SER in stock

Wish ing I'd hired local electrician anyway, hard to read city inspector mind and no acess to his shirt pocket (he mentioned illegal to splice 240v when extending circuits)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Haven't noticed substantial shortages in NE Georgia

But this week came to our house in Crystal River, FLA, to add outside disconnect and change out panel

CES out of 1 1/2 PVC

And nearest #2 SER is in Ocala, 1 hour plus drive

Looks like another FLA trip (in work truck) be coming up soon, my usual supplier in GA has 2 SER in stock

Wish ing I'd hired local electrician anyway, hard to read city inspector mind and no acess to his shirt pocket (he mentioned illegal to splice 240v when extending circuits)

CES in Ocala should be able to route a truck to your nearest branch there with the cable. They changed the process last year where you have to call your home branch and order it, and they should be able to get it from Ocala to you, and it’s typically overnight between branches that close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just got a quote for 3" sch 40 PVC, it was $420 per 100'
sch 80 was $610 per 100'
Price only good for today and 4-6 weeks to get it

Status
Not open for further replies.