Resi to Commercial: Update..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkydon

Hey guys. About two months ago I posted a thread asking for tips about making the transistion from resi to commercial electrical work. Well I moved out of the area I was living in and got settled about 7 hours south of there, I am now living and working in the Silicon Valley.

I am so happy to have made that jump, I was feeling crammed into the ceiling with no where to go. Now I work or a 10 guy shop doing 90% commercial installs, and 10% office work. The office work is all the research and paperwork I am doing helping this company launch a solar photovoltaics dept. which is related to the pinnacle of my career goals as it is.

I showed up with all the right gear minus a Reamer and the proper Allen wrenches, and have been having a blast learning all the new theory and methods. Every single employee for this company is a quality person and employee; I seriously couldn't be happier with my new situation.

EMT bending has been a little challenge, and I took home a bunch o scrap demo pipe and worked my saddles and learned deductions..

Just wanted to follow up on my OP and thank all the contributing members who took the time to respond and those who load this site up with valuable trade talk and info.

PS. working at Lockheed & Martin is a trip. 5 year BG check, high security work...pretty cool.

DIRT27

Rewire said:
I always say when it stops being fun Ill stop doing it

I always say when it starts being fun I quit calling it work. I really enjoy what I do for a career, but if I wasn't getting paid I wouldn't take it up as a hobby.

Rewire

DIRT27 said:
I always say when it starts being fun I quit calling it work. I really enjoy what I do for a career, but if I wasn't getting paid I wouldn't take it up as a hobby.
do what you love and you will never work another day in your life.The funny thing is I could not see myself doing any of my hobbies 8-10 hours a day for very long.

sparkydon

Thats true. If I drank beer and fished 8-10 hrs. a day, I'd be dead and we'd be experiencing a huge salmon shortage..O wait..

adamants

not work

not work

i was told about 5 years ago... if you aren't doing now, what you would do if you had a million dollars, quit. Most people who get rich, do so because they love what they are doing.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.