Residential Buildings under 13.2 kV 3 phase Distribution line.

PowerQA

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have looked all over the NESC to find a definite safety code that addresses placing a mobile home directly under a 3 phase double circuit line. I can find vertical clearances from buildings in general. The implication seems to be Okay with maintenance of vertical clearance over the roof . There are codes prohibiting placing hot tubs or pools under power lines, but nothing directly pointing to a permanent residence? Does it exist? Right of way violation probable since line has been there since 1940's or 1950's. The age of the mobile home is probably 1970's or late 1960's.

If you haven't found a NEC or NESC code yet, then it probably doesn't exist. OTOH, there may be some zoning codes involved. There could also be a ROW encroachment but each state is different on the subject of "adverse possession" and that's when lawyers get involved.

Are you trying to get the mobile home moved? Could be tough if it's been there for years and the PoCo line inspectors never flagged it as a problem.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
234C - Clearance of wires ... from buildings

What is different about a mobile home that makes it not a building?

Also, the utility, state, or fire dept. might have rules that are stricter than the NESC.

I am also ignoring any legal rights of way that might impact land rights.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Presumably the ambient electromagnetic fields are pretty high, even with the vertical separation. The jury is still out on the health effects, but there is some statistical indication that that sort of proximity to high voltage lines is associated with various illnesses. And I would not choose to live there.
The exact geometry of the three phase conductor array will strongly affect the field strength that close.
But there are no laws regarding exposure.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
There are some laws with regards to exposure. Just not for power lines.

*That I know of*

FCC regulates antenna signal strength and OSHA does similar with antennas and radiation devices.

PowerQA

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you haven't found a NEC or NESC code yet, then it probably doesn't exist. OTOH, there may be some zoning codes involved. There could also be a ROW encroachment but each state is different on the subject of "adverse possession" and that's when lawyers get involved.

Are you trying to get the mobile home moved? Could be tough if it's been there for years and the PoCo line inspectors never flagged it as a problem.
Thank you. I thought I was slipping in my lookup skills.

PowerQA

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Presumably the ambient electromagnetic fields are pretty high, even with the vertical separation. The jury is still out on the health effects, but there is some statistical indication that that sort of proximity to high voltage lines is associated with various illnesses. And I would not choose to live there.
The exact geometry of the three phase conductor array will strongly affect the field strength that close.
But there are no laws regarding exposure.
Thank you. I agree with the electromagnetic fields, however my concern is the probability of a failed conductor falling onto the mobile home and causing severe injury or death. The line is in excess of 50 years old.

PowerQA

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But there are no laws regarding expos

Thank you. My concern is the possibility of a failed conductor falling onto the mobile home and causing severe injury or death. The line is in excess of 50 years old.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have looked all over the NESC to find a definite safety code that addresses placing a mobile home directly under a 3 phase double circuit line. I can find vertical clearances from buildings in general. The implication seems to be Okay with maintenance of vertical clearance over the roof . There are codes prohibiting placing hot tubs or pools under power lines, but nothing directly pointing to a permanent residence? Does it exist? Right of way violation probable since line has been there since 1940's or 1950's. The age of the mobile home is probably 1970's or late 1960's.

Is this what you are looking for?

1716594995751.png

PowerQA

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Also, the utility, state, or fire dept. might have rules that are stricter than the NESC.

No difference in use, just concerned with possibility of failed conductor falling onto mobile home and electrifying the exterior sheeting including metal doors. Thus creating additional hazard to any occupant trying to flee. As we all know power lines over a building are not a good thing. There are NESC rules concerning secondary lines over a pool or hot tub. Why wouldn't it be of as much concern. Many mobile homes including the one in question are have exteriors of aluminum sheeting.

Birken Vogt

I can think of a bunch of structures, all built with proper permits, one within view of my house, that have 12 or 21 kv lines directly over the roof. Presumably they don't want to limit your ability to build where you need to.

This being California, if they can think of a reason for you not to build something, they will tell you.

I do remember something a few years back. The poco does not allow structures to be erected under 115 kv powerlines and the like. Some were trying to get that rule relaxed because neighborhoods are popping up where big powerlines used to run in open fields. The poco did not allow any deviation. They do not want interference of maintenance on big heavy lines. So they build parks, golf courses, parking lots, and the like in the open spaces the power lines mandate. But the houses go right up to the allowed zone.