Residential construction

nizak

General purpose receptacles, 14/2 or 12/2 ?

Anyone take into account VD for long home runs?

Always wired all receptacles in #12 and lighting in #14.

Just curious as to others practices.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We never bothered when we did residential. I've seen on some forums where inspectors are using plugin voltage testers to see if there is excessive voltage drop on a circuit. Although that is unforceable in the NEC I've heard that in some jurisdictions VD compensation is part of their energy code.

nizak

We never bothered when we did residential. I've seen on some forums where inspectors are using plugin voltage testers to see if there is excessive voltage drop on a circuit. Although that is unforceable in the NEC I've heard that in some jurisdictions VD compensation is part of their energy code.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For me it depends on the situation, but by and large every circuit that's allowed in #14 gets exactly that.

Also, as a general rule I don't run receptacle circuits and lighting circuits. I usually wire what makes the most efficient sense for labor and materials.

I do make exceptions for receptacles in areas where substantial tv and stereo equipment will be used. In such cases, I may wire living room or rec room receptacles on 20 amp circuits, and put up to a dozen on.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Treadmills!!! Do a dedicated 20 amp if they are doing one and ask like 2 or 3 times becuse this change always comes up at the end and they want the change order to be the same as it would be before sheetrock. I do 20 amp general circuits in certain situations bit if the run is long enough for real voltage drop most of the time I would have done a subpanel closer to it anyway and then you have 2 things working for your benefit. The voltage drop won't be an issue if the subpanel feeder isn't maxed out and then also the real world diversity will help it as well.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
14 should be fine for most residential, at least in my opinion. Most people seem to think all the electronics today are increasing loads, but I remember TVs and Radios with tubes, those things were like space heaters

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For me, it's #14 everywhere that #12 wasn't required. Also, as mentioned, I make exceptions if I know there will be heavy loads.
This is what I normally see from inspecting. The aforementioned treadmill being a "heavy load" exception.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
14 should be fine for most residential, at least in my opinion. Most people seem to think all the electronics today are increasing loads, but I remember TVs and Radios with tubes, those things were like space heaters
First RCA Color sets ('CTC-100') in 1954 using the CTC-2 chassis had 36 tubes.

The prototype CTC-1 (never commercially produced) had, according to rumors, 42 tubes, no examples of it remain

more here http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reitan/gallery_index_v2.02_11-20-2006.html

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the exception of SABCs, I see no reason to run #12 for receptacles. Everything is getting more energy efficient anyway.

-Hal

Agree. SABCs, Gyms or anything discussed with owner on new construction requiring a large draw, then #12
General purpose receptacles, 14/2 or 12/2 ?

Anyone take into account VD for long home runs?

Always wired all receptacles in #12 and lighting in #14.

Just curious as to others practices.
VD should not be a concern. If you have HR's greater then 100Ft from a main panel then you didn't do your homework on circuit distribution
by installing sub panels

With the cost of copper today, I can't justify future proofing #12 for general receptacles just in case they may want to put a
treadmill in there bedroom.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
First RCA Color sets ('CTC-100') in 1954 using the CTC-2 chassis had 36 tubes.

The prototype CTC-1 (never commercially produced) had, according to rumors, 42 tubes, no examples of it remain

more here http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reitan/gallery_index_v2.02_11-20-2006.html

I'm a general class ham. Years ago I had a linear with tubes that would dim the lights on that circuit when i keyed up and with modulation. I had to run a dedicated circuit with #10 just to get the modulation to sound right. That sucker would heat up a room

AdamTeeScott

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Anyone install a 10amp circuit yet? I saw that the 2023 code allows for use of 10amp breakers, but I have yet to see one in a house or even on the shelf at the supply house or store.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Guess I'm the odd man out. I don't see the point of 14/2 for receptacles. The cost of the wire is minimal compared to the cost of the labor. I also believe in using higher quality receptacles. The quality of a $5 receptacle vs a $1 receptacle is significant.

macmikeman

I just charge off the difference in the cost of #12 and #14 in the price I give for wiring the dwelling. There is both the extra cost of the material and the extra cost of the labor fro 12 instead of 14. Yes it does make a difference, whether you realize it or not. And then I normally spend the money I added into the bid and wire all the receptacle outlets with 12-2 . On remodels , if I am picking up an existing circuit and extending it to new outlets I will use the 14-2 for new receptacle outlets I added. Always I wire lights with 14. If it is overkill to use #12-2 where not required it is a failure on the safe side.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
12 for receptacles,14 for lighting.
Once in a while 14 for GD/DW circuit and/or for microwave circuit.

And I have never done 12 for lighting either.

R&T Jimmy

Occupation
Licensed Electrical Contractor and Building Official for local City/ County
I do 12 for receptacles and 14 for lighting just add the cost in, you get some you loose some, but you cant do them all anyway. We still have some old timers around here that refuse to use anything other than 12 on everything. 12-3 is a pain to work with in a pancake box!

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I do 12 for receptacles and 14 for lighting just add the cost in, you get some you loose some, but you cant do them all anyway. We still have some old timers around here that refuse to use anything other than 12 on everything. 12-3 is a pain to work with in a pancake box!
#12 is a pain in a 22 cu. in. single gang 😅

Seriously, I wouldn't use #12 on anything if I didn't have to. And it can get you in trouble in a hurry on box fill when you run lighting in 12