Residential Generator Plug on Detached Garage Tied to Ground Rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've recently installed a generator plug on the side of my detached garage as the generator connection point for a new transfer switch in my home. I chose to pipe the generator line over to the outside of the garage mostly just to keep a decent amount of distance between my home and my generator (about 40'), therefore keeping the exhaust fumes a safe distance away, as well as for more noise reduction. Other than the fact that the plug is mounted to the side of my garage however, the garage itself has otherwise nothing to do with the generator / transfer switch circuits, etc.

Why bring up the garage at all then? I bring it up because some time back I pounded in two ground rods next to the garage in anticipation of running a 240V feeder out to the garage for a separate garage subpanel, of which I have not yet accomplished to date. Now, I fully realize that my newly installed generator plug has absolutely nothing to do with any future garage subpanel, and therefore need not have anything to do with the ground rods I put it for it.

But in my mind, tying my generator circuit ground to the separate garage grounding electrodes may not be a bad idea should lighting ever strike my garage, or near it while I'm running the house off of the generator. Again, I understand that this is not in any way required, as the generator grounding conductor and transfer switch itself are already bonded to my main EGC in the main panel. But I also cannot find any code specifically forbidding this, and can only see it making my system safer from potential lightning damage.

So my question is; have I perhaps overlooked anything in Art. 250 of the NEC, which would NOT allow the garage ground rods to be bonded to my generator grounding conductor?

Thanks,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.