Residential grounding

nhsdet

Occupation
Electrician
I have two ground rods more than 6’ apart. The #6 ground from the panel goes to the first ground rod. I have a new # 6 between the two rods connected by an acorn clamp. House was built in 2005 and connected to power since then. City inspector told me I needed a second rod and now he is saying the # 6 has to be continuous. What’s the deal?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Two ground rods are the limit required. The #6 to the 2nd rod from the 1st is a bonding jumper and there is no "continuous" requirement.
The acorn clamps are rated for one conductor so you would need a second acorn on the1st rod for the jumper.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't think it's specifically spelled out in one sentence but included in the following:

250.53 (C) Bonding Jumper. The bonding jumper(s) used to connect the grounding electrodes together to form the grounding electrode system shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A), (B), and (E), shall be sized in accordance with 250.66, and shall be connected in the manner specified in 250.70.

250.64(F) Installation to Electrode(s). Grounding electrode conductor(s) and bonding jumpers interconnecting grounding electrodes shall be installed in accordance with (1), (2), or (3). The grounding electrode conductor shall be sized for the largest grounding electrode conductor required among all the electrodes connected to it
. (1) The grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted to be run to any convenient grounding electrode available in the grounding electrode system where the other electrode(s), if any, is connected by bonding jumpers that are installed in accordance with 250.53(C).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you. Is this in the code book stating it doesn’t have to be continuous?
The issue is he doesn't understand where the GEC ends. The conductor from the neutral in the panel to the rod is the GEC that has to be continuous or irreversibly spliced. The conductor between the two rods is as Augie stated a bonding jumper. There is not continuous requirement for a bonding jumper .

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mike-holt-250-4-jpg.119882

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I recently added a second rod on a service upgrade and I followed the GEC down into the ground down about 2' but still couldn't find the first rod. I just split bolted the #6 to the existing GEC.