residential heating load minimum requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

drp8888

I am trying to find the code requirements pertaining to residential electric heat per square foot. I was taught to use 6-10 watts per square foot according to insulation factors and window sizes. Now I want the code minimums for competitive reasons.

Jljohnson

To my knowledge, NEC does not give a minimum. This is a design issue. The heat maunufacturer should have some design guidelines to go by. I was taught years ago to figure 10 watts per square foot. Nothing to back that up, just what I was taght growing up in the trade in cold Nebraska winters.

mdshunk

I'm in Zone 12 on the IRC Table N1101.2, and I use 1 watt per cubic foot of heated space. Again, this is not an NEC issue.

Last edited:

ASK_EDDIE

exact cals would have to be figured with a manual j with great experience, however most electric air handlers are figured with the tonnage of air, 1 1/2- 2 tons will be 10 kw, 2 1/2 - 3 tons 15 kw , 4-5 tons 20 kw ... and *rule of thumb* in texas is 1 ton per 500 sq feet. im also a licensed hvac contractor

Jim W in Tampa

A lot will depend on where your at and type of building.Here in Tampa a typical home of 1300 to 1500 sq feet will do fine with 10 kw.Actually my unit has 15 kw and i backed one of the 5 kw strips off of it because it was too much and would cause short cycles.Conditions in Pa would likely make me lean towards 10 per foot.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is this place already heated by a different means that is being removed, or are there similar structures adjacent that already have a heating source? If you can get an HVAC person to tell you how many BTU's are required to heat the place (or do your own ACCA Manual J calculation), there are approximately 3,412 BTU's in one kilowatt.

Status
Not open for further replies.