Residential low voltage lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any experience with low voltage lighting. I do know the switching is part of a relay system. I have a light at the top of the stairs in my bedroom. The light is controlled by 2 low voltage switches (GE RS232), 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom of the stairs. When both switches are off, the light stays on. Not sure what the deal is. The switch at the bottom of the stairs is 1 of a 4 gang set. All of those switches work correctly. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks, Chris

mdshunk

The answer depends mostly on whether you're dealing with RR7's or RR9's. With the RR7's, the "off coil" could be open. With RR9's, your switches could have an issue, and are sending a constant "on" signal to the relay.

First thing I'd do is to pull the three connectors off the back of both RS2-32 switches and that would narrow down the problem to the swtich or the relay. Touch the wite wire to the black wire at one switch location. If the light goes off, the relay is fine, and you have a swtich issue. If the light stay on, you have a relay issue.

bobk823

Low Voltage System

Low Voltage System

I'm trying to get a similar( same) GE lighting control system back up to "snuff" . It appears that many of the "indicator rocker switches" on the Master control cluster (8) don't light any more when the controlled light is "on". All the room lights work, so the relays are OK, and are 30+ yrs old. I realize that GE isn't in the residential lighting business anymore, but by any chance do you know if any of the Lighted Rocker Switches ,Relays ( RS232...I believe) or non-lighted rocker switches are available from anybody ? If not, does anyone make a similar switching system that could be used as a replacement ?

Thanks
Bob K.

It seems to be a relay (RR7's) problem. I pulled the red, white and green conductors of both switches and the light stayed on. The relay box looks like last nights spaghetti dinner. What's the best way to figure out which relay it is? Also, If the "off" coil is open, wouldn't more than 1 light be stuck on?

Appreciate the help, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.