residential outlets price

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

A contractor Im bidding a basement for says he usually gets prices from ec's such as....

$75 per recessed light. $80 for old work smoke detectors.

He wants to know what the price is for outlets. Im doing code min on outlets.
I figured the price at $35 per outlet and added everything up and the price seemed fair. What do you think for the outlets?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I charge $33.62 w/ #14 romex, $42.43 w/ #12 romex.

$76.74 #14 homerun, $91.83 #12 homerun. These are standard 1p breakers, not AFCI.

Sparky555

bth0mas20 said:
A contractor Im bidding a basement for says he usually gets prices from ec's such as....

I figured the price at $35 per outlet and added everything up and the price seemed fair. What do you think for the outlets?

Maybe he wouldn't mind if someone told him what to work for.

Dave

teco

bth0mas20 said:

I might charge that for those items to. Then I would also have to charge the materials and labor to install them.

tonyou812

bth0mas20 said:

I want to put a bullet in my mouth.................maybe this is why I am so freaking slow now...................... I am bidding against people like that. BTW it would help if you put what city you are from so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about. If your from Jersey and those are your prices Im definatly going back to college...and putting this whole contracting shananagin to bed. I like to acually make money when I go to work and not just pay my bills.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Seems a lot of you think those prices are extremely low. Why not share what you think it should be?

For me, its cost of materials, labor for each part figured off labor units, 20% on top of everything. How do you come up w/ your price?

Vinniem

Ouote-charge $33.62 w/ #14 romex, $42.43 w/ #12 romex.

$76.74 #14 homerun, $91.83 #12 homerun. These are standard 1p breakers, not AFCI.

Sorry to say but you wouldn't last to long in Jersey if you charged those prices.

growler

bth0mas20 said:

Those sound more like prices for "Tract Homes" or "Apartments". $75 a unit for recessed cans is BS under normal conditions but that about what they pay in many cheap apartments ( I have herd as slow $60 in some cases ). There are a few really cheap cans that can be purchased for about $12 ea. that includes can, trim,baffel & lamp and that's what they get. It ain't pretty but it's cheap.

If anyone tries to do basement remodeling or kitchen remodeling for the same price as apartment or tract home work they will lose their shirt. It's really better to skip all that unit pricing and come up with a reasonable estimate of time needed to complete the job and base labor cost on that.
I don't know of any program that will really give out correct labor units because it's mostly based on experience.

There are really many variables in remodeling work. What time can you start in the morning? How hard to get materials to job site? Will the job be completely free of obstacles? Will the homeowner be in the way? Is there a complete set of plans or are you going to spend a day just doing layout?

New construction rates just don't work for remodeling projects. Don't let anyone get you to commit to unit pricing for remodeling. Give a price for complete job ( bid price & scope of work) with additional work at T&M. Use change order forms.:)

Sparky555

I recently added two quality remodel recessed lights, 4 quality trims & 4 quality bulbs to a kitchen drywalled ceiling. I bid it at $625. The HO did the usual gasp, but when I was done she said "That was a lot more work than I thought". When I got back to the office I ran it through Excel as a T&M with markup & profit & I should have bid it at $1114. This is just to illustrate the difference in prices to a large new home with open access and 50 cheap cans in NM at $75 each.

Dave

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Vinniem said:
Ouote-charge $33.62 w/ #14 romex, $42.43 w/ #12 romex.

Sorry to say but you wouldn't last to long in Jersey if you charged those prices.

I wouldn't doubt that, but I'm not in Jersey; I'm in south GA, probably one of the least expensive places to be in the country. That still didn't answer the question though. Is your formula for determining the price similar to mine or is it simply based off what others are charging? Do we have an enormous OH difference?

A quick example of what contractors charge here: If you were to divide my price for a new home by the sq. ft., it falls somewhere between $4.00-$5.50. By contrast, the 'going rate' around these parts is $2.15-$3.40 per sq. ft. Which is why I don't get much new construction. We build new homes for $50-$65 per sq. ft.; That's everything but the lot.

satcom

petersonra said:
outlets are about 29 cents each at home depot.

And a spark plug is $1.99 some parts houses, but the mechanics and auto repair shops, still charges $9 ea for them.

bth0mas20

To anwser previous questions....I live in Southern Maryland.

Im new to owning a business so I am not at a point to pick and choose. Im also not saying that I let people tell me what I should make. I figured up cost of materials and labor. Then priced it like he said his other ec's did and I realized I was cheaper.
Im going to go over their on saturday and rough it in. It should take me 4 hrs tops. and with only recessed cans and plugs I can come back and trim it out in an hour. I know I wont be making a killing but I just started working for this contractor. I would like to let him see my work instead of bidding too high and having him just tell me no. Before anyone says this " I know its not good to work cheaper because then they will expect it all the time".

Eventually I will be at a point with my business that I wont have time for something like this job. I will be handing jobs like this to other guys that are just starting.

tmbrk

I know this has been posted before but I thought it might be a good idea to post it again. It's a cost calculator that will help you figure out your true hourly rate.(First time I saw it was when Celtic posted it awhile back). I urge the guys just getting started or thinking about going into contracting to use it. I think you may just surprise yourself with what you should be charging. It's a great tool.

http://www.masterplumbers.com/utilities/costcalc/

I know it says it's for plumbers, but it works for our trade as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.