Residential Panel Replacement

I replaced a150amp circuit breaker panel due to internal damage. I was told by AHJ that all breakers need to be Arc Fault as listed in 210.12. we made to alterations to wiring or added any circuits. I read that whole article on Arc Fault. No mention of needing to do this for a panel replacement. Did I miss something?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not unless there is a local requirement. The NEC does not require you to address arc-fault protection on panel repair/replacement unless the circuit has been altered or devices replaced (See210.12 & 406.4 for specifics)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wouldn't it be nice if they added a few words to 210.12 stating that it doesn't apply to panel replacements? :rolleyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And if you bring it to their attention, they might just say...You know, that's not a bad idea to require it....
The current six foot language was put in to specifically permit the replacement of a panel without having to install AFCIs, with the idea being that the old panel may not be replaced if you are required to add the AFCIs when you replace the panel. A new panel even without AFCIs is probably a safety improvement over leaving the old panel in service.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Panel replacement without rewire of entire circuit particularly one of old wiring and MWBC can add a whole world of hurt by adding AFCI. That is part of reasoning for the 6ft rule. Higher than average issue of AFCI tripping or not even holding in the first place on the old wire and MWBC.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The current six foot language was put in to specifically permit the replacement of a panel without having to install AFCIs, with the idea being that the old panel may not be replaced if you are required to add the AFCIs when you replace the panel. A new panel even without AFCIs is probably a safety improvement over leaving the old panel in service.
About seven years ago we did a service change where we needed to relocate the panel from a stairway down to the basement. We needed to extend all the home runs more than 6 feet in order to make it happen. The inspector originally failed us and required AFCI protection. They were pretty easily swayed though after I called and explained that the wire was only on the panel side of the runs and everything else was existing.

Funny thing is, the inspector was technically right.

Rob G, Seattle

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Which makes the 6 foot rule even more stupid. What difference does it make if you're just extending the branch circuits to the new panel location?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Which makes the 6 foot rule even more stupid. What difference does it make if you're just extending the branch circuits to the new panel location?
How would you write a code rule that would permit the replacement of a panel without requiring AFCIs, but still require AFCIs where there is modification of the existing branch circuits?