Residential service Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavey

Does the grounding electrode conductor from the water main (200 Amp residential) have to be in conduit ??????? Or can a bare copper conductor be ran ???????

adavey

What's the definition of damage ?????? I guess you can say the length from the water main to ceiling could be subject to "physical damage".

JohnConnolly

Note:

If it is in METAL conduit, both ends must have bond bushings.....at least that is what a couple of inspectors have turned ME down for.

One of them tried to explain "why" to me but ??????no comprehende?????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
bphgravity said:
Consult with your local AHJ. This is widely interpreted.

I agree with Bryan, subject to damage is very subjective. IMO most installations do not require any protection if the GEC is strapped to the building surface.

bphgravity

JohnConnolly said:
Note:

If it is in METAL conduit, both ends must have bond bushings.....at least that is what a couple of inspectors have turned ME down for.

One of them tried to explain "why" to me but ??????no comprehende?????

Perform a search on this forum with the key word "CHOKE". You will find lots of discussion on the phenomenon.

Ragin Cajun

bphgravity said:
Perform a search on this forum with the key word "CHOKE". You will find lots of discussion on the phenomenon.

True, BUT only if the wire is insulated. If it's bare it has contact throughout its length. At least that's what several of us have agreed upon. FWIW!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
True, BUT only if the wire is insulated. If it's bare it has contact throughout its length. At least that's what several of us have agreed upon. FWIW!
It won't be touching the conduit for the full length and there will not be a soild connection. The choke effect will still occur.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.