residential switch and outlet height

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiddMartin

18" and 48" above floor to center for receptacles and switches respectively is typical around here, fwiw.

That's the ADA maximums they were talking about earlier. About that height actually works out pretty decent for most people IMO....unless they call you "Tiny" because you hit your head on ceiling fans.

I believe ADA is 48" to top , not center. 48" to center is a vio

luckyshadow

Which Hammer?
The 28 oz Framing Hammer - Long Handle
The 16 oz trim Hammer - Shorter Handle
The 10 LB Sledge Hammer- Longest Handle Yet
Maybe that tiny little tack hammer

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

Oh S**T - Which Hammer?
The 28 oz Framing Hammer - Long Handle
The 16 oz trim Hammer - Shorter Handle
The 10 LB Sledge Hammer- Longest Handle Yet
Maybe that tiny little tack hammer

If you wanna stick a 10lb sledge in the hammer loop of your tool belt and use that all day boxing a dwelling, you go right ahead. :D

480sparky

I carry a 16lb sledge myself, and it does a damn fine job tacking up romex. :grin:

Saves money on staples, doesn't it?
fiufiu.gif

peter d

And, if this is an addition to an existing building, or new opennings installed in an existing building, the heights are already determined by the original wiring intallers. Match the new to the old.

So what do you do when you go into a room in an old place and they are all at different heights (not uncommon). Take an average?

Karl H

ADA in Commercial work is 48AFF and 18AFF to center. Resi doesn't
adhere to ADA as far as I know. If it is cutting in a recept it is, "Match Existing as not to demonstrate the inability to read a measure tape."
Don't quote me on the last statement though.:D

quogueelectric

I was taught the bottom of the box was to be strictly at Sals hammer height. No kidding. Put the box on top of Sals hammer and drive the nails already.

daleuger

I don't like to use crazy things like "prints" "tape measures" or "uniformity". I find that it hinders my creativity. :D

ELBERT

sw and rec heights

sw and rec heights

Ada has requirements for commercial apps. That i carried over to resi. Custom homes for the impaired .5'6" mentioned above for rec is max. Height to serve wall line or space ,flor rec. 18" away fom wall is max distance from wall to serve that wall. Rec. 18"above counter is max. To serve that counter usually a wall cabinet is placed 18"above counter ,look out for the counter man changing the measurements .outdoors rec. Placement not to allow water to enter especially during operation as well as when not .max height is 6'6"above grade front and rear on resi. Sw. Boxes 48"to bottom rec. 18 to top resi. Center on comm. . Sw height are more judgemental for readily accessible for equipment .there s more but i'll sit down and give someone else a chance famous words of...

Hope this helps from an "a" student of mr.david humphrey and mr . Steward sharpe vecap rocked me into contracting and engineering plans

ELBERT

Alt sw rec method when in rome do as the romans do

Alt sw rec method when in rome do as the romans do

Thanks and be consistant

daleuger

,look out for the counter man changing the measurements

Ran into that a few times on commercial jobs. The last time the counters that came in were 3" taller than what they were spec'd for on the prints. Foreman decided rather than kick up a fuss we should take a port-a-band and cut a "hair" off the stainless steel cover plates to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.