Residential Wiring

Jimmy7

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure this topic has been kicked around before. I believe there is no maximum number of receptacles you can put on a 15 amp circuit in a residential dwelling, correct? With that being said, I was curious how many receptacles you prefer to put on a 15 amp circuit when you're roughing a house, what's your rule of thumb?
Do you keep your lighting on separate circuits, or do you combine lighting and receptacles together?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm sure this topic has been kicked around before. I believe there is no maximum number of receptacles you can put on a 15 amp circuit in a residential dwelling, correct? With that being said, I was curious how many receptacles you prefer to put on a 15 amp circuit when you're roughing a house, what's your rule of thumb?
Do you keep your lighting on separate circuits, or do you combine lighting and receptacles together?
I'm British. For us we have have one lower floor lighting and another for the upper floor. This is typical for residences.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We never do general use receptacles on 15A circuits. We almost never combine lights and receptacles. No hard fast rule for us but we won't typically do more than about 8 receptacles on a circuit. Dedicated for each bedroom. We only do residential. Part of our rationale for this is early on in our company we had a job we wired that ended up having space heaters in their bedrooms and were constantly tripping circuits.

Rob G - Seattle