Resignation of the license holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think some of you guys are focusing on the wrong side of this equation. You might be able to slip through the licensing issue without too much trouble but depending on what your contractual obligations are you could be getting into a real mess. That is why you want to take your contract to your lawyer and have him look at it before you do anything. Random people on the internet who have no legal experience can tell you all kinds of things. You might believe you have some kind of normal employment contract. You don't know and they don't know what your obligations are under the terms of the contract you signed.

Chances are it's nothing all that offensive. But the only way you're going to find out is to pay someone who can actually tell you. Unfortunately this should have been done before you signed on the dotted line so that you would have known when you signed up what it is you actually signed up for.
I mostly disagree. I mean, yes, he should review his contract and make sure there's no strange obligations in it. But he indicated in post #13 that it was 'typical' so unless he's forgetting something then if there's nothing there then there's nothing there. Moreover, if your contract language isn't inscrutable, and don't find you've signed something you wish you hadn't, then you don't need to waste money on a lawyer to tell you that your contract doesn't contain those things. It's only if something turns up in the contract that worries him that he'd need to do that.

Meanwhile, the licensing issue is probably his bigger risk exposure, i.e. the risk of losing his qualification to be the license holder for a new employer if he doesn't properly disassociate. He has two states to worry about, and the licensing boards' requirements for notifying them of changes in his status are probably more time sensitive to deal with than any contractual issue.

So it's both, but probably more the latter.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I mostly disagree. I mean, yes, he should review his contract and make sure there's no strange obligations in it. But he indicated in post #13 that it was 'typical' so unless he's forgetting something then if there's nothing there then there's nothing there. Moreover, if your contract language isn't inscrutable, and don't find you've signed something you wish you hadn't, then you don't need to waste money on a lawyer to tell you that your contract doesn't contain those things. It's only if something turns up in the contract that worries him that he'd need to do that.
You are just plain dead wrong about that assertion. A contract can be written that sounds reasonable, but has land mines that can easily cost you a ton of time and money to resolve. If the OP is just a normal peon worker, there probably is nothing in the contract to worry about. Probably. If he is a level or two up the food chain the employment contracts tend to be a little more problematic.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You are just plain dead wrong about that assertion. A contract can be written that sounds reasonable, but has land mines that can easily cost you a ton of time and money to resolve. If the OP is just a normal peon worker, there probably is nothing in the contract to worry about. Probably. If he is a level or two up the food chain the employment contracts tend to be a little more problematic.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
At first glance it does not appear to change much in Illinois. Much of this has been in place through various court decisions for quite some time. It was nice of the state legislature to codify it though.

As I previously suggested, those of us at the lower end of the food chain don't have a whole lot to worry about in most states.

Status
Not open for further replies.