Response from RFI concerning current carrying conductors. Am I crazy

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I understand why a 20 amp wire can't be used because of derating of course, but why can't a 20 amp breaker be used for each heat trace? Maybe I'm missing something
Nobody said a 20A breaker can't be used. But not with 12awg wire derated that much. If the circuits can use 15A breakers then the wire is fine. If the circuits require 20A breakers then they need larger wire or an arrangement with less of a derating factor.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Nobody said a 20A breaker can't be used. But not with 12awg wire derated that much. If the circuits can use 15A breakers then the wire is fine. If the circuits require 20A breakers then they need larger wire or an arrangement with less of a derating factor.

Lets use Dsg319' example there are 18 CCC for heat traces at 15 amps per heat trace

that means 15x125% = 18.75A wire

to derate the wire it's 50% meaning you need 37.5A wires

that means you need a 20 amp breaker and a minimum 37.5A wire for each heat trace correct?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Lets use Dsg319' example there are 18 CCC for heat traces at 15 amps per heat trace

that means you need a 20 amp breaker and a minimum 37.5A wire for each heat trace correct?
I’ve never derated that way. I take the wire at its 90degree ampacity if applicable for example #12@ 30amp

30x.50=15

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I’ve never derated that way. I take the wire at its 90degree ampacity if applicable for example #12@ 30amp

30x.50=15
In my example, I use 90 degree column at the end of the calculation. In my example on post 22 you need a #10 wire

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
In my example, I use 90 degree column at the end of the calculation. In my example on post 22 you need a #10 wire
Same result. I guess that’s the same as the continuous load with 125% percent added Vs only loading the breaker to 80%

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

There has been some lack of clarity whether the load requires at minimum 37.5A wire (before derating) on a 20A breaker or 30A (before derating) wire on a 15A breaker. But everyone agrees that 30A (before derating) wire on a 20A breaker is neither of those, and not protected.

If the load is continuous, then we all agree that's correct.