resume's

Status
Not open for further replies.

westelectric

Irecently put an ad out on the net looking to hire a mechanic and a helper. Could someone please tell me where, on the net, you can find a sample electricians resume. Im sure its out there. I swear out of 40 resumes, 35 of them sounded exactly the same. (Work with romex and bx, bend pipe 1/2 in. to 1in., service upgrades, work in panels,install switches and recepts) I know you guys had to have seen this before. An added topic, whats with all the guys coming up to NY from the south. At least a dozen or so with previous work experience in SC, NC, GA, FL, VA. No work down there or is that another way to list previous employers that really dont exist.

SiddMartin

ask questions on everything that your journeyman does, watch how he troubleshoots, listen to the questions he askes the HO... all of this is usefull techniques that you will need to know. I learned so much from my "mentor" and I still to this day will call him first if I can't figure something out. If you are an over acheiver and thirsty to learn, make sure you have right guy teachin you, make sure he knows you wanna learn and he teaches you.

Buck Parrish

whats with all the guys coming up to NY from the south. At least a dozen or so with previous work experience in SC, NC, GA, FL, VA. No work down there or is that another way to list previous employers that really dont exist.[/QUOTE]

Finally their going north you say. Perhaps it's the language barrier on large commercial job sites.

When they get ready to retire they will come back to the south and spend their money here.

westelectric

SiddMartin said:
ask questions on everything that your journeyman does, watch how he troubleshoots, listen to the questions he askes the HO... all of this is usefull techniques that you will need to know. I learned so much from my "mentor" and I still to this day will call him first if I can't figure something out. If you are an over acheiver and thirsty to learn, make sure you have right guy teachin you, make sure he knows you wanna learn and he teaches you.
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I am the employer looking to hire. I am commenting on all the resumes I am receiving look exactly the same.

westelectric

buckofdurham said:
whats with all the guys coming up to NY from the south. At least a dozen or so with previous work experience in SC, NC, GA, FL, VA. No work down there or is that another way to list previous employers that really dont exist.

Finally their going north you say. Perhaps it's the language barrier on large commercial job sites.

When they get ready to retire they will come back to the south and spend their money here.[/QUOTE]
I'll be right behind them. Any suggestions?

SiddMartin

SiddMartin said:

sorry, wrong thread

mdshunk

Bring every one of them in for a simple test. Have them bend a little pipe, makeup a 3-way, terminate some MC, cut in an old work box, stuff like that. Think of about 30 minutes worth of stuff to do for a test. Also, have them set up an extension ladder high up and observe them as they climb up and down one time. A few simple tests normally sorts out the posers. You're just looking to gauge if it looks like they've ever done any of those things before. It also lets you get eyes on a guy to sort out the boozers and gangster wannabees.

westelectric

mdshunk said:
Bring every one of them in for a simple test. Have them bend a little pipe, makeup a 3-way, terminate some MC, cut in an old work box, stuff like that. Think of about 30 minutes worth of stuff to do for a test. Also, have them set up an extension ladder high up and observe them as they climb up and down one time. A few simple tests normally sorts out the posers. You're just looking to gauge if it looks like they've ever done any of those things before. It also lets you get eyes on a guy to sort out the boozers and gangster wannabees.
Ive heard this before but do you and others actually do this?

e57

mdshunk said:
Unless they're arriving with an IBEW or IEC credential, you bet.

Locally one would test especially if claiming the above. As many of the lower book guys who might be looking may have only done sigular tasks while in, and claim to be the bees knees. I've known guys who did nothing but bend pipe end-lessly, but have no idea what to do with it afterwards it seems. Other locals differ - but I take no one for thier word unless proven up front.

I have a long story about a test I took when I first started the trade... And have seen people walk away when put to a simple task they claimed they could do better than the average joe.

khixxx

You have to be careful. I know a few very skilled guys that won't take an exam. After going from maintenance back to construction the hiring guy asked me the take up on a 3/4" bender. I honestly didn't know it. The guy looked at me funny then I said it's on the bender I do know that.

Ken

khixxx

westelectric said:
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I am the employer looking to hire. I am commenting on all the resumes I am receiving look exactly the same.

Coming right out of Tech school I bet everyones resume looked the same. Have you thought about picking a guy up right out of tech school?

Ken

mdshunk

khixxx said:
You have to be careful. I know a few very skilled guys that won't take an exam.
In that case, I wouldn't want to be careful. If a guy is so backwards that he can't or won't take a quick and simple test to confirm a certain skill set, I really won't be able to effectively use him anyhow.

Trivia, such as the take-up on a 3/4" bender, is best left out of a test of basic skills.

hardworkingstiff

mdshunk said:
In that case, I wouldn't want to be careful. If a guy is so backwards that he can't or won't take a quick and simple test to confirm a certain skill set, I really won't be able to effectively use him anyhow.
I feel the same way.
Trivia, such as the take-up on a 3/4" bender, is best left out of a test of basic skills.
If you were hiring someone to install 20,000 feet of EMT, would that really be a trivia question? :smile:

mdshunk

hardworkingstiff said:
I feel the same way.If you were hiring someone to install 20,000 feet of EMT, would that really be a trivia question? :smile:
No, but very seldom is a guy hired specially to bend pipe for his job.

cadpoint

I recently put an ad out on the net looking to hire a mechanic and a helper. Could someone please tell me where, on the net, you can find a sample electricians resume. Im sure its out there. I swear out of 40 resumes, 35 of them sounded exactly the same. (Work with romex and bx, bend pipe 1/2 in. to 1in., service upgrades, work in panels,install switches and recepts) I know you guys had to have seen this before...

Well, No. I haven't and thanks for the reminder to refresh mine.

An added topic, whats with all the guys coming up to NY from the south. At least a dozen or so with previous work experience in SC, NC, GA, FL, VA. No work down there or is that another way to list previous employers that really dont exist.

I thought they called those snow birds...

Status
Not open for further replies.