resume's

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

westelectric said:
whats with all the guys coming up to NY from the south. At least a dozen or so with previous work experience in SC, NC, GA, FL, VA. No work down there or is that another way to list previous employers that really dont exist.

That doesn't sound at all odd to me because all those states are right on the East cost and not very far away so they are probably guys that went South for the building boom and when work slowed down they decided to get closer to home. Or as cadpoint said "snow birds".

If you are looking for a local guy look to see where their references are located.

mdshunk

khixxx said:
MD and Hard worker, I was kind of trying to say "keep an open mind"
Eventually, every open mind will resolve upon some set of beliefs. I believe that a man needs to quickly demonstrate that he can do what he says he can do.

JohnJ0906

I have been given short (10 or so question) written tests when applying for a job. No biggie.
Although I have never been asked to do a physical test (bend conduit, etc.) I would do it. Again, not a big deal.

I can do what I say I can do. Why should it be a big deal to show it?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
westelectric said:
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I am the employer looking to hire. I am commenting on all the resumes I am receiving look exactly the same.
Resumes are at best a way top sort out the grossly unqualified.

Its not all that surprising that they would look alike. You are hiring from a pool of people doing the same kinds of things, and the resume writing software tend to all work about the same way.

Pick a few likely canddiates and give them a simple code test along with some fairly straightforward bends to make. If they can't pass either test, move on to the next group.

Most employers tend to select the best talkers, rather than the best workers. If all you do is talk to them, you probably will miss the best workers.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Most employers tend to select the best talkers, rather than the best workers. If all you do is talk to them, you probably will miss the best workers.

What do you base this statement on ?

I sure can spot the ones that can talk a job to death... and that includes all vocations...:rolleyes:

I'd be glad to talk about any aspect of my job's as listed, completed, or otherwise, including type of work, etc. I've taken tests before and for other unrelated jobs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
cadpoint said:
What do you base this statement on ?

I sure can spot the ones that can talk a job to death... and that includes all vocations...:rolleyes:

I'd be glad to talk about any aspect of my job's as listed, completed, or otherwise, including type of work, etc. I've taken tests before and for other unrelated jobs.
Very few companies actually do any real skill testing. Filling out the application more or less shows you have some basic education, but HR departments are rarely in a position to determine if a potential hiree is really suited for a position.

Most jobs seem to be won based on how well the interview goes, and most of that is just talk. Talk a good game and you have a much better chance of getting hired than someone with much better skills, but not so good at interviewing.

I am still amazed at how few companies even do minimal background checks.

If you are going to have them take skills tests, it would probably be a good idea to let them know before hand, wither in the ad, or in the phone call to set up the interview. I've been through them a few times, and it's nice to know that I need to schedule an hour and a half or two hours (Interview plus CAD test, in my case) rather than scheduling one hour.

If you want to set your own test up, a mix of typical code and typical electric work (typical being the work they would be hired for) might work out the best. You might want to throw a few curve balls at them tho, just to see how good they are.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
DanZ said:
If you are going to have them take skills tests, it would probably be a good idea to let them know before hand, wither in the ad, or in the phone call to set up the interview. I've been through them a few times, and it's nice to know that I need to schedule an hour and a half or two hours (Interview plus CAD test, in my case) rather than scheduling one hour.

If you want to set your own test up, a mix of typical code and typical electric work (typical being the work they would be hired for) might work out the best. You might want to throw a few curve balls at them tho, just to see how good they are.
My wife has been looking for work of late. Some of the places have told her to expect to be there 2-4 hours for testing. A few even made her take skill tests over the Internet (mostly MSOffcie products) before they will even schedule an in house interview. Guess they don't want to waste their time on someone totally clueless.

Rewire

Had a guy claiming 4 years of residential and was working for himself but ran out of work at his interview I asked him how many 12-2/g NM cables you could put in an 18cu box with a receptacle. He stared at me for a moment and then he says "What answer do you want?" I looked back at him and said the correct one.

growler

Rewire said:
I asked him how many 12-2/g NM cables you could put in an 18cu box with a receptacle.

Even the question is incorrect. The correct question would be how many 12-2/g NM cables are you allowed to put in an 18cu box with a receptacle. ( If you take the NEC out of the equation I have no idea how many you could force in there).

He may have assumed you were checking for determination. " With a bit of effort I could put 6 but it would be darned hard and illegal".

Just looking for the humor in the situation.:D :D

cschmid

Testing and all application look the same..I don't list I can bend pipe or that I have run MC cable..I don't list I can rope a house or even hang a fixture..Man i have a masters if I cant do that stuff then I should just give it up..Now for testing If I am looking for a grunt forget the testing look to make sure he shows up everyday and is dependable..If I was looking for a journeyman than I would ask some basic code stuff and give little hands on test but with some more complicated stuff..So as to check for his workman like ability..The way I see it if I hire him and he does not make a week I am out no more than a test..I feel tests are over rated sometimes it really only clears out the electricians who should not of been there to start with..So you can bend pipe can you make a pipe rack the same or can you match that pipe already hanging there..Then you can bend pipe..knowledge and ability can not be determined in a quick test but it can do some needed weeding to bad the weeds just don't go away..

Status
Not open for further replies.