Retail space Load Calculation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Recently I was contracted to perform a Lighting changeout of a National Chain store due to numerous problems with the existing track lights failing.
I had told the client that if we just replaced the existing track in it's existing locations and used similar fixtures we would not need to permit the job. Of course they chose to make changes and hired a engineer. The permited plans finally were delivered to me to start the job. I looked over the job and noticed many irregularities.
1) the plans stated Replace existing "150 amp" panel with new 32 cir MB NQO panelboard. ( I had bid only to replace the existing Load center that was only 100 amp as there was some damage to the buss from improper breaker brand)
2) The Load calcs for the existing lights was way off.
a) the 2x4 fl's were actually 4 lamp magnetic not 3 lamp Electronic
b) There were 3 3ton A/c units on the roof and three seperate FAU's in the store. The EE had all the Lennox part numbers to refrence but only used 1 30 amp breaker for each an Calced only 2800 watts each. ( the actual load was 1400 va for each FAU and 3200 VA for each Condensor. )
When the EE was confronted with this dillemma He redrew the plans with a 100 amp panel and stated the load was only 90 amps. I ran a calc including all the elements he left out and came up with 113 amps.
I reviewed the plans and noticed He still had not used the proper wattage and number of lamps and fixtures, he left out the FAU load and claimed the A/C condensor only consumed 2200 watts. I put an amp probe on the 3 units and read 15.5 amps continous at each one. The EE even stated on the revised plans that " the A/C and heating don't run Smultainously." Correct but Heat is made by Propane and the FAU load is used for both cooling and heating. Thus he cannot leave the FAU out of the load calcs. The EE refused to make the necessary changes.

I asked the Client and the EE to review the calcs and upgrade the panel to 150a that I bet they wanted. I also informed them that The existing meter and Main had a tag max 100 amps. The feeder was #2 Cu in 1 1/4" EMT with 4 90 bends and 120 feet of wire. I was unsure if I could pull in larger wire and suggested that not to go that route as I was unsure if I could complete the job overnight as the store was in operation.

The engeneer refused to make the corrections and told me my observations are incorrect. Needless to say I was at the store , He never was, and was in an office 2,500 miles away.

I have been wondering if the client was trying to make me put in a panel that I did not bid to install ( My contract was very specific). Also I was wondering if the EE was unwilling to state the load at the panel was 113 amps because of code ,Then why was he willing to have me install the equipment knowing that it was wrong. The EE was banking aon the fact that no one would see the error and it would be ok.

Has anyone ever been put in such rediculous position. I'd like to just walk away but I have been working with this customer for many years , and They have always paid.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like somone made a mistake but was unwilling to fess up to it. Not sure what to do.
If you walk then you may loose future work from them..

Snorks

I have a similar thing happen. I wrote an added scope quotation along with a disclaimer. I still got the job with the added scope payment and the incorrect items were magically corrected.

necnotevenclose

Sounds like a case of the EE putting the paycheck ahead of safety. Do the drawings require plan review? The problem I see with the "corrected" plans is when the project is all said and done and the breakers keep tripping who is the owner going to go after? Also it is just my opinion but if you are questioning continuing doing work with your customer than maybe its time to move on. The customer needs to understand the risks that are involved when not meeting the NEC and local codes. I hope that the discrepencies you have have found will be fixed.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes, The plans were submitted with the errors. They had not consulted me prior to getting the permit. The building department has no clue about what size the panel is or was. I just have a problem installing something I know and feel is wrong.
The problems have not been fixed, The store owners have a problem upgrading to the larger size panel.
I spoke to head Building official and asked if we could use Load limiting devices for the track. This way we could reduce the track calc from watts per foot to actual watts used. He said that they would agree to this. Have the EE resubmit the corrections.
Told the Client , they inturn said the EE refuses to redraw the plans so I can submit the Corrections. The EE say's do as per plan. He actually redrew the plans again this time Leaving out there Loads for the FAU's "required to move the air ineither cooling or Heating" Put a note on the plans " heating and cooling do not run simultaneously. He actualy loaded the panel to 36.6 KW without even adding for any continous loads. All of the lights are on from 8:30 Am to 8Pm Seven days a week.
When he was confronted again by the client he said the contractor does not know what the hell he is talking about.. What a stubborn fool I think he is.

Has anyone ever used load limiters for track lighting?
Silver bullet or the ones actually mounted within the track feed?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Has anyone ever used load limiters for track lighting?
Silver bullet or the ones actually mounted within the track feed?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
they are used in commercial site .Where states energy codes where the actual track Footage exeeds the allowable wattage for a given space. These limiters have mini breakers in 1 amp incriments that are code compliant that allow the Energy lighting calc tobe calced based on "Limited"Circuit ampacity not by track footage.

More and more states have adopted these energy requirements like CA title 24

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Sierrasparky said:
they are used in commercial site .Where states energy codes where the actual track Footage exeeds the allowable wattage for a given space. These limiters have mini breakers in 1 amp incriments that are code compliant that allow the Energy lighting calc tobe calced based on "Limited"Circuit ampacity not by track footage.

More and more states have adopted these energy requirements like CA title 24

Illinois has adopted the IECC. Per the IECC, all line voltage track gets X watts per linear foot. I don't see any exceptions for any load limiting devices.

Steve

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You are correct about the calculation for the load per foot. Many states have a different calc than the NEC. However It is my understanding that these devices are approve in some states that have adopted these type of energy codes.
As far as I know these products are new. The interesting fact is that the Energy code may prohibit a large footage of track because it exeeds the
energy allowance for a given space. The Energy code Then allows you to use a Silver bullet Panel or Track load limiting live end to in effect reduce the total wattage "allowable" to the Track. (it uses a mini breaker")
The interesting thing I have seen in the code, is that there is no allowable reduction in calculations for the panel load. You still need to size the panel and feeders based on the linear footage of the Track. I think the NEC is 70 w Ft.

I recieved special permision to use the load limiters to reduce the Panel and feeder load.

I was hoping to get some information from someone who has experience with these devices. There is no substitution for experience.

Also I was wondering if anyone was ever put in such a position from an EE like I had been.

Last edited:

LawnGuyLandSparky

celtic said:
Used them?
I never even heard of them!

before_silverbullet2.gif

after_silverbullet2.gif

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
anyone have experience using them or the similar devices that are installed at the track end?

Status
Not open for further replies.