Retention Pond Fountan

eds

I am installing a fountain in a 5 acre retention pond. Airplane cables from fountain to shore secure floating ring of fountain. Are there hangers to slip over cable and clip to securing cable to hold the cable? Another thought is to sink pvc pipe and pull cable thru it. May be fishing in the pond, so looking to protect cable as much as possible

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suppose you could use whatever hangers are used to secure conductors to messengers.

Maybe just some tywraps?

I would not be real worried about people fishing if the power line was tied to the cables that hold the ring in place.

Maybe a sign warning of an underwater electrical cable is in order.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Take a look in Article 682 as that will apply to this installation. Part V of Article 680 will also likely apply.

eds

This install will fall under the 2017 NEC. Could this also be considered a swimming pool? A sand beach and a small floating dock have been added to the pond. Fountain manual states not to swim while running, all though this is likely due to entrapment in the pump motor. Both floating pump motor and ring of lights are gfci protected. Pump motor is encased in a non metallic housing with only some stainless achine screws holding the intake screen on. No provision for a bonding screw. Article 682 can be met, as well as the fountain section of 680.