Retrofit Transfer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
It is my understanding that in the 2020 NEC prohibits retrofitting/reconditioning of certainn equipment including transfer switches. Is that accurate? If so what is the difference between a repair and retrofitting/reco

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Not all electrical equipment is suitable to be reconditioned, rebuilt or remanufactured due to its design features or critical role in safety. The 2020 NEC has specifically identified the following types of equipment are not permitted to be reconditioned:

Transfer switches (695.10, 700.5(C), 701.5(C), 702.5(A), 708.24(A))

I took this off the UL website

Last edited:

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
In a recent code class update the presenter brought this up and I asked him what was the difference between a repair and retrofit/recondioning? He had no answer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess that they should define what a repair is, IMO it's something along the lines of replacing an existing part with the same part or a replacement part. Certainly replacing an LCD display in a transfer switch or some other failed part is not reconditioning.

ron

One of the retrofits that commonly is done, that in my opinion will not be legit after 2020 is adopted in a jurisdiction will be replacing the interior of a panelboard in a backbox.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One of the retrofits that commonly is done, that in my opinion will not be legit after 2020 is adopted in a jurisdiction will be replacing the interior of a panelboard in a backbox.

Would anything really change though? By definition they are two separate parts, a cabinet and a panelboard or does the 2020 change the definitions?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here, there is what to me is a dumb rule. If a meter base terminal breaks or overheats, we're not allowed to replace a part; the entire base must be replaced.

Why?

The POCO requires inspections, and the county says meter base parts are not "meant" to be field replaced. So, longer outage time and greater cost to customers.

kwired

Electron manager
I have swapped loadcenter interiors a few times where the same cabinet would have otherwise been used. One time converted single phase to three phase and the three phase interior directly fit because both used the same cabinet.

Another time was in swine building, even if you keep the panelboard out of the occupied rooms, the environment still gets to it, it just takes longer. Many breakers were experiencing weak connections to bus and were causing enough overheating that the main was occasionally tripping. New loadcenter still fit directly into existing cabinet and made the change pretty quick compared to having to remove the old cabinet.

Been many times I took those Square D QO 6 space panels (with the horizontal bus ) and replaced the interior with an 8 space or even taken an indoor panel and replaced the guts on an outdoor panel - the interior assembly is the same thing and the cabinet is designed to take the 6 or the 8 space interior.

On top of that I don't see they can prohibit reconditioning something if there is any standards for reconditioning, haven't they done this with a lot of large frame equipment for years?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It technically can be done but the language requires it to be field labeled if the available fault current is >10kA.
View attachment 2552037
There are manufacturers that will make new listed custom interiors for existing cabinets. I don't remember the name of the company but they were one of the vendors at the Illinois IAEI January meeting. Because they are custom, you need to order a reasonable quantity to make it cost effective. Their target market is upgrades of complete apartment/condo buildings where the existing cabinets are all of the same size.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
There are manufacturers that will make new listed custom interiors for existing cabinets. I don't remember the name of the company but they were one of the vendors at the Illinois IAEI January meeting. Because they are custom, you need to order a reasonable quantity to make it cost effective. Their target market is upgrades of complete apartment/condo buildings where the existing cabinets are all of the same size.
I think that was Cutler Hammer as I recall. Not sure if they still offer it.

paulengr

This is goofy but the enclosure and panel are two different items in MDPs. So you can swap the guts in a panel which is why you can buy a bare one to mount in say a prepared space in an MCC.

Repairing is usually replacing broken parts. Mostly field work.

Reconditioning is taking it completely apart and restoring to factory new. Weld up and drill and retap holes for instance. Replacing brackets and other parts, rewinding coils, repacking bearings, replaying, etc. Strictly shop work. UL Listed result as an example.

Retrofitting is when you remove the existing equipment and replace with new modern equivalents within the original assembly. This would be for instance keeping the trucks and frame of an old breaker and mounting a new vacuum breaker on the frame.

In terms of transfer switches it depends on the type. Some are really just reversing contactors wired as transfer switches. Some are basically double throw switches that are usually custom built. I could see easily retrofitting the first one because it’s essentially an industrial control panel subject to UL 809A. But the second is usually a throw away. In fact it’s rare they can even be repaired. I’ve seen guys try though, but the results are what you’d expect...garbage in, garbage out. The workmanlike installation rule comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.