Retrofits- Factory florecents

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Has anyone every performed a retrofit in a factory where the lights are to be motion sensored. The lighting now are T-12 and the customer want to go with a T-8 or T-5 retrofit and I want to suggest additional energy saving with motion sensing but I dont know how to go about it. Do the lights come with built in sensors or do they need to be installed independent of the fixture? Also, which are the best types of ballast to use for longevity? Without actually looking at the project is there a way to gather a round about price difference in making the switch. Basically does anyone know the rough percentage one would save going from T-12 to T-8 or even to T-5. Thanks for any help .

tkb

I did a job in a food warehouse that we replaced 400, 400wHPS high bays with 6 lamp T8 fixtures each with a motion sensor.
As you walked down the aisle the lights would come on.
We had to set the motion sensors so the lights would stay on for 20 min. This was so the lamps would not burn out prematurely.

This was to save energy. I am sure it saved a lot since the 400wHPS fixtures were on 24x7 and the new fixtures were only on for 20 min when someone was in the aisle.

The motion sensor was added to the fixture. The fixtures had 2, 3 lamp T8 ballasts.

tkb

The output was good when they were new. We didn't have a light meter but it seemed brighter.
The fixtures has a silver reflective shade almost like a mirror, but after time the shades became hazy and some of the output was lost.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
For lights on motion sensors, I've been told you want to avoid "instant start" ballasts. They won't handle the frequent starting very well. Rapid start or program start should both be OK.

Has anyone every performed a retrofit in a factory where the lights are to be motion sensored. The lighting now are T-12 and the customer want to go with a T-8 or T-5 retrofit and I want to suggest additional energy saving with motion sensing but I dont know how to go about it. Do the lights come with built in sensors or do they need to be installed independent of the fixture? Also, which are the best types of ballast to use for longevity? Without actually looking at the project is there a way to gather a round about price difference in making the switch. Basically does anyone know the rough percentage one would save going from T-12 to T-8 or even to T-5. Thanks for any help .

The frequent on/off switching will shorten the life of both the tubes and ballasts. If my memory serves right the life of fluorescent is given for 8 hours continous(average) burning cycles. Not saying it rules it out, but it needs to be taken into consideration.

Many things need to be taken into consdieration.

What is the occupied/unoccupied time ratio? Would motion only be enough or IR/motion is needed. Each autonomous area would need to be defined and the circuiting designed accordingly. Is there any ambient light available during daytime? How to take that into consideration?

I've done loads of retrofits in a production environment, mostly in the warehouse portions of the business. They were replacing 400W MH with T5 biax and now T5 HO fixtures. They all paid back and saved money with in 2 years or less. Light levels and color rendition where improved and the customers/clients were very happy. Manufacturers are making fixtures with integral motions. I use a local manufacturer because they will "tweak" their product for your install and they will stand by the parts. The motions will not reduce lamp life as long as they are left on as the lamp manufacturer recommends, ussually 15-30 minutes. Just delay the motion off time as needed.

http://www.1stsourcelight.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.