"reverse 180 degrees" circuit breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
480Sparky - Ugh. Let's deprecate those around us so that no one can discover that we don't know what we should. What a great way to foster cooperative working relationships.
LarryFine - maybe rotating circuit breakers? Since the loads are for apartments, I can't imagine that phase rotation would come into play.
JamesL - I bet all I get is voicemail!
480Sparky - That way they can wire up two 3 phase motors, coupled shaft-to-shaft, and they can fight each other. The invention of the perpetual non-motion machine!

paulengr

480Sparky - Ugh. Let's deprecate those around us so that no one can discover that we don't know what we should. What a great way to foster cooperative working relationships.
LarryFine - maybe rotating circuit breakers? Since the loads are for apartments, I can't imagine that phase rotation would come into play.
JamesL - I bet all I get is voicemail!
480Sparky - That way they can wire up two 3 phase motors, coupled shaft-to-shaft, and they can fight each other. The invention of the perpetual non-motion machine!

Six phase is a thing. Just have one wire every 60 degrees instead of 120. A few engineers built some equipment and tested it. Torque pulsation was less and you got less current per wire but they concluded that it is overly complicated for basically minimal benefit and recommended never doing it outside the lab.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I had an 18 phase motor in my basement, but think that counts as being in a lab.

Hexaphase and higher phase counts are used for large rectification systems.

The only residential 6 phase system that might make sense is if you have 3 120/240V single phase systems derived from a 3 phase supply. Each apartment would see normal residential single phase rather than 120/208V, but if you looked at the entire building service it would be 6 phases with 60° separation. I don't know if such is actually installed anywhere.

Jon

Occupation
Electrician
480Sparky, in the event that my snarkiness was misunderstood, it was directed at persons in high positions who insist that they are correct rather than admit that there are things that they don't know. I certainly did not mean to imply that any of us should actually understand this strange message or have to deal with with such persons. My apologies if I seemed to say otherwise. There's a maxim that states that great leaders teach, which is exactly what you did, and are doing, here. Kudos. You have my utmost respect, sir.

Occupation
Electrician
Winnie, 18 phases? Yikes! In any event, there is only 1 service, here, noted as "1200A 120/208V. Each of the 6 CBs feeds a meter and then a downstream panel denoted as "Panel 200A MCB 120/208V", one for each of the six apartments. A tiny bit odd, given that the apartments range is size from 3200 sq ft down to 750 sq ft. Can't imagine that a 750 sq ft 1-bedroom needs 200A 3 phase, but I'm not in charge. (No commercial or retail occupancy will be permitted.)

Occupation
Electrician
WWhitney (aka Wayne) came the closest. The note was a typo. It was supposed to indicate moving the entire panel to make access easier. However, they have changed their plans and are issuing a revision in which that won't be necessary.

kwired

Electron manager
Amen to that. I installed "Horsepower-rated switches" for disconnects on some fractional HP motors in a commercial setting. Motors were pumps for the hot water heat system. I installed simple toggle switches that were rated for 2HP. Engineer said they were wrong. He spec'd "Horsepower-rated switches", and that what should be installed.

I said "They're switches... and they have a horsepower rating right on the strap. See?" as I remove the cover to show him.

"No! Those are NOT horsepower-rated switches!" he complained. I asked him to show me, specifically, what he wanted.

Turned out, he wanted FSUs.

s-l400.jpg

I never wanted to slap anyone more in my whole life.
If that is what he wanted then any drawings should have indicated what fuse to install in it as well.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
WWhitney (aka Wayne) came the closest. The note was a typo. It was supposed to indicate moving the entire panel to make access easier. However, they have changed their plans and are issuing a revision in which that won't be necessary.
The final comma was the key to deciphering the text, it meant the final clause had nothing to do with the breakers. That plus the tense of "reverse," it was plausibly the command form.

Cheers, Wayne

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Is the existing MDP an I-line panel board? Only thing that came to mind was making sure to have ABC opposite CBA breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.