REVERSE POWER RELAY that will be installed to prevent back-feed

inforaj

Occupation
Hello,
I received feedback on the interconnection application, and they recommended that the single-line diagram be updated to reflect the REVERSE POWER RELAY that will be installed to prevent back feed. In the past, I never used the Reverse Power Relay.

Could anyone be familiar with this equipment and help with the model numbers or brands for residential/commercial projects? So that I can use it in one of our projects.

I tried to find the lists on the ComEd portal but was unable.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A reverse power relay prevents a solar system from backfeeding the grid, or limits backfeed, or similar functions. I've never had to install a reverse power relay, but I've heard they cost many thousands of dollars. One doesn't find a lot of info about them online because (as best I can tell) it's highly specialized stuff that is mostly used only by utilities.

Is this system supposed to backfeed the grid, or not? How big is your system? If your intention was to backfeed the grid then either they made a mistake in their review, or there might be something special about the utility network in this area that might prevent you from doing the project as sold. Utility reviewers do sometimes make copy/paste errors or get confused about what they're looking at. Did they really just say 'recommended', or are they requiring something?

inforaj

Occupation
A reverse power relay prevents a solar system from backfeeding the grid, or limits backfeed, or similar functions. I've never had to install a reverse power relay, but I've heard they cost many thousands of dollars. One doesn't find a lot of info about them online because (as best I can tell) it's highly specialized stuff that is mostly used only by utilities.

Is this system supposed to backfeed the grid, or not? How big is your system? If your intention was to backfeed the grid then either they made a mistake in their review, or there might be something special about the utility network in this area that might prevent you from doing the project as sold. Utility reviewers do sometimes make copy/paste errors or get confused about what they're looking at. Did they really just say 'recommended', or are they requiring something?
The System is only 37.9 KW DC. Here are the comments we received from them.

Attachments

• image003.png
    image003.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 31

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
it appears with your proposed design, you are not permitted to supply any power to the utility. If there is any possibility that could happen they want you to do a net meter installation, or provide the reverse power relay to prevent you from supplying power to the utility.
Not sure of the cost or design implications for a net meter design verses a reverse power relay.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It's hard to tell with incomplete sentences and lack of context, but he appears to be asking if you want to net meter or not. The reverse relay is necessary if you do not.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
First time to see a POCO asking for reverse power relay related to a PV system. I've only seen them used in paralleling large generators.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
First time to see a POCO asking for reverse power relay related to a PV system. I've only seen them used in paralleling large generators.
I've seen a utility require such a thing if you install a PV system connected to their downtown network. We built one such system and vowed never to do it again.

I admit I have never used a RPR and don't know much about them, but seems like a real impractical solution for a PV system. Seems like it would just trip out, the inverters would shut off for 5 minutes, and it will keep doing that over and over. Unless it's a small PV system relative to the local loads where most of the time there is no back feed and the RPR is just there for rare occasions?

Carultch

I admit I have never used a RPR and don't know much about them, but seems like a real impractical solution for a PV system. Seems like it would just trip out, the inverters would shut off for 5 minutes, and it will keep doing that over and over. Unless it's a small PV system relative to the local loads where most of the time there is no back feed and the RPR is just there for rare occasions?

You use the reverse power relay, not because you want to, but because you have to. Yes it is an impractical solution, and the underlying idea is that it will rarely (if ever) shut off. You use it, because it is the only solution the utility will accept.

You would design some other control method to dynamically steer your system's production away from the forbidden point of export, or away from the maximum limit of export. The reverse power relay is a fail-safe in case this power controller doesn't work. You meter the net load of your site's service, or another metering setup that would add up to the net load of your site's service. The net load data is used as feedback for a controller that sends setpoints to the inverters, to dynamically change their maximum output power in response to the load.

It is common on larger systems to be required to use a utility-grade relay anyway, in addition to the standard relays built-in to the inverters. Directional power is simply an element that is already available within the relay, which you can program for this purpose.

inforaj

Occupation
These are the two that I've used from Basler for large generator installations that we were connecting in closed transition
ES-32
Thank you for the details. The solar system only has a 37 KW AC capacity. What power/voltage output did you utilize from your generator for this? I simply want to know if it is available in any size or not.

ron

Thank you for the details. The solar system only has a 37 KW AC capacity. What power/voltage output did you utilize from your generator for this? I simply want to know if it is available in any size or not.
Depending on what CTs you provide for the measurements, you can go down to almost any size feeder. We had 4000:5 CTs and were looking to trip at 150kW reverse power.

AlbertL57

Occupation
Solar maintainer
I've installed a relay on a system fed by a spot network, where the utility requires a minimum import of 20kW during daylight hours. We installed a curtailment control system as the first line of defense. It throttles back the solar as needed to maintain import power above the relay setpoint, so the relay only trips when there's a sudden large load drop that the controller can't respond to fast enough. The PV production and customer's load are such that, on weekdays, the relay very rarely trips. But on sunny weekends around this time of the year, without the controller, there are days when the relay would cycle continuously, exactly as you said.

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The IEEE 32 function will be the guarantee to the utility that you can't back feed. regardless if the control system is the first line. If this is 480V or less the Basler is probably the cheapest way. If MV system then the MV gear will have a protective relay anyway, just make sure it has the 32 function. Sometimes it's an option to add.

Ken70

Occupation
Engineer