Review Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What are some of the top questions you
ll ask/inquiry about during a bid review.
I know it's project specific.

Thanks.

cdslotz

Prebid between estimator & chief.
We did weekly meetings between chief and estimators in conference room. We would put a spreadsheet up on the screen and discuss who is bidding what, who is available to bid incoming RFP's and/or vet incoming requests to decide to decline or accept, who may need assistance to meet deadlines, discuss manpower loading if we are successful on the bids we already have going or that were awarded....these type of things.
That spreadsheet was on our shared server so everyone had access to see who's working on what at their fingertips

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
We did weekly meetings between chief and estimators in conference room. We would put a spreadsheet up on the screen and discuss who is bidding what, who is available to bid incoming RFP's and/or vet incoming requests to decide to decline or accept, who may need assistance to meet deadlines, discuss manpower loading if we are successful on the bids we already have going or that were awarded....these type of things.
That spreadsheet was on our shared server so everyone had access to see who's working on what at their fingertips
Sounds like a weekly tactical meeting, not a bid review. Not detracting from the importance of that meeting.

For a bid review, dependent upon estimator, I’ll spot check assemblies for means and methods check and review high cost assemblies, like feeders.

I’ll filter extension high to low and low to high searching for mistakes and misses.

Extract quoted items from extension and ensure validation of quoted packages and subs.

Roll over every other applied or not applied factor reviewing labor factoring, indirect, general expenses, equipment, etc.

Chief performs bid close ensuring all is accurate and marks up with consideration to manpower commitments, markup, margin to align with market intelligence.

Any feedback and revisions shall be conveyed with an atta-boy to the estimator that performed the work to reinforce positive behavior

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
I should add, review and spot check of assemblies in takeoff tab is to familiarize yourself with the encompassing SOW and plans

Also I’ve generated a review template for observations and asking those questions you’re looking for, but these quest are not one size fits all… dependent upon your review. Maybe a self-made template will help you and you with review process which you can make better each revolution? Any issues I see large enough to warrant feedback I try to pose as thought provoking to enable the estimator and teach-and-learn experience. The estimator is required to satisfy those questions via revision or response

cdslotz

Sounds like a weekly tactical meeting, not a bid review. Not detracting from the importance of that meeting.

For a bid review, dependent upon estimator, I’ll spot check assemblies for means and methods check and review high cost assemblies, like feeders.

I’ll filter extension high to low and low to high searching for mistakes and misses.

Extract quoted items from extension and ensure validation of quoted packages and subs.

Roll over every other applied or not applied factor reviewing labor factoring, indirect, general expenses, equipment, etc.

Chief performs bid close ensuring all is accurate and marks up with consideration to manpower commitments, markup, margin to align with market intelligence.

Any feedback and revisions shall be conveyed with an atta-boy to the estimator that performed the work to reinforce positive behavior
He said pre-bid. What you described is post-bid extensions, errors, quotes, etc....all post-bid

Status
Not open for further replies.