REVISIONS TO ELECTRICAL CODES AFTER HURRICANE KATRINA

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston1425

REVISIONS TO ELECTRICAL CODES AFTER HURRICANE KATRINA OR TSUNAMI TYPE OF OTHER NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL FLOOD INCIDENTS

I am an Electrical Engineer currently working in Washington DC
I have been seeking answers for published Electrical Code changes or/and revisions to Electrical Code after Hurricane Katrina and other National flood incidents.

I used to work for a Government Agency 10 years ago here in Washington DC that used to design and build Hospitals all over the US. I have been told that there has been many Electrical Code Changes due Katrina and other flood related National disasters

So far no one could point me in the right direction as to where these specific code changes that are published.

I will greatly appreciate if someone can direct me in the right direction or /and refer me to right source of information.

Thanking you in advance

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure you are going to find anything at all. The process for revising the National Electrical Code starts by submitting a proposed change, along with a substantiation that explains and justifies the change. Anyone can submit a proposal. All proposals, and the actions taken by the Code Making Committees (i.e., to accept, reject, or accept on principal with some additional revisions) are published by the National Fire Protection Association. The paper copy of that publication (called the "Report on Proposals") is generally 2-3 inches thick, and the printing is quite small.

There have been two new editions to the NEC (2008 and 2011) subsequent to Hurricane Katrina. I would lay odds that not one of the revisions that were proposed for either edition included, in its substantiation, anything having to do with the experience of any hurricane or tsunami. But you are welcome to look at the proposals on line, starting at www.NFPA.org.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know of any changes to the NEC that are specifically related to Katrina or flooding.

I have no doubts there were localized amendments that were added in that area.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know of any changes to the NEC because of Katrina. The only thing that changed here in Louisiana is we are now on a statwide code, 2008, with no local amendments. The state did pass a law that says all new gas stations on evacuation routes have to have generators. Some building codes changed to meet FEMA flood elevation requirements. NEMA did put out a paper on wiring and equipment that is flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.