Revisiting kitchen receptacle requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

I know this has been beaten to death, but I have read this again and I have a question.

210.52(B)Ex 1 refers to 210.70(A)(1)Ex1.

210.70(A)(1) Ex1
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

I know that some have mentioned that the wall receptacle in a kitchen could be a switched receptacle from a 15 ampere branch circuit, used for lighting. This exception does not include the kitchen area.

Was this the general concensus that was reached through that long thread?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Revisiting kitchen receptacle requirements

pierre,
The main rule requires a switch controlled lighting outlet, the exception permits the use of a switch controlled receptacle in lieu of the lighting outlet. As long as there is a switch controlled lighting outlet in the kitchen, I see nothing that would prohibit the installation of switch controlled receptacle for use with additional lighting.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Before this turns into a 1000 post thread :D I would like to jump in and agree with Don.

jwelectric

I am posting in this thread for three reasons:

1) to aid in making this or any other thread reach 1000

2) to agree with DON and Bob

3) to inform every one that I have learned how to upload pictures and warn you of the pestilence that is coming your way. You can thank George and Bob as they were the ones who taught me how to upload these pictures that are coming your way.
:)

Edited to add;
The only reason I didn?t add a picture to this post is because I was having such a hard time picking the one I wanted to use. I will not forget that I already owe you all one and will double up nest time.
:D

[ September 08, 2005, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
I have learned how to upload pictures and warn you of the pestilence that is coming your way.
:) [/b][/quote]OH NO! what have we done? :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Can that switched receptacle be at the coutertop and not be gfci protected?
Here it goes, this thread will hit triple digits. :D

IMO

Yes it can be on the counter in addition to any required receptacles.

It must be GFCI protected.

Now I will duck and cover. :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I disagree. I'm not telling you who I am disagreeing with, nor what statement I disagree with. I'm just exercising my right to disagree. :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

How about this: If you put a few receptacles above the countertop, but if they are in addition to the ones required for small appliances, and if you connect them to a switch by the kitchen door, can you plug in a set of under-counter lights? If you do, then it becomes obvious that they are not intended to serve the countertop surfaces (see 210.8(A)(6)), then they would not need to be GFCI, right? :confused:

jwelectric

I agree with Charlie B. Which statement that I am agreeing to, I shall not disclose. I am just making the statement that I agree with Charlie B.
:roll:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie b:
I disagree. I'm not telling you who I am disagreeing with, nor what statement I disagree with. I'm just exercising my right to disagree. :D
Originally posted by jwelectric:
I agree with Charlie B. Which statement that I am agreeing to, I shall not disclose. I am just making the statement that I agree with Charlie B.
:roll:
sitting_on_the_fence_lg_wm.gif

jwelectric

This post makes a dozen and off we go. Another picture to help us understand what we are talking about.

:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Hey Bob. JW and I are not sitting on the fence. We know where we stand; we are clearly settled on our opinions. We're just not sharing them with you. :D :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie b:
Hey Bob. JW and I are not sitting on the fence. We know where we stand; we are clearly settled on our opinions. We're just not sharing them with you. :D :D
If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear it, then does it make a sound?

Opinions not voiced have little impact. :p

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

We voiced our opinions. I disagreed, and he agreed. We just left out some minor details. :D

P.S. If a tree falls in a forest, and if the wife is not there to hear it, is the husband still wrong? :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Mike, what's the deal with the under-counter lights being plugged into the counter top receptacles in this unedited version of the picture?

:eek:

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by roger:
Mike, what's the deal with the under-counter lights being plugged into the counter top receptacles in this unedited version of the picture?

Roger
ROTFL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.