RGC & PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I need to install some 3" PVC for both primary and secondary conductors. On the primary side, the POCO wants RGC for the sweeps. Is the best way to transition from PVC to RGC to put a box connector on each end of the sweep and thread a PVC female adapter onto the box connector, then slide/glue the PVC into the FA?
I've never had to use RGC sweeps before.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Retired ?? Obviously :)
I always put a Female adapter on the elbow and glued the PVC into it.

1673573777929.png

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I need to install some 3" PVC for both primary and secondary conductors. On the primary side, the POCO wants RGC for the sweeps. Is the best way to transition from PVC to RGC to put a box connector on each end of the sweep and thread a PVC female adapter onto the box connector, then slide/glue the PVC into the FA?
I've never had to use RGC sweeps before.
Just curious - Are you going to have to bond those sweeps?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just curious - Are you going to have to bond those sweeps?
This is a unique situation with the POCO as we normally don't do anything on the primary side. But in this case we do, so they have given us a print out of what they require and there was nothing about bonding the sweeps. On the secondary side, I don't have to use the RGC sweep.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I didn't think the RGC sweeps were threaded. That would work for sure if they are.

Yeah, that retirement thing is not working out too well. May need to get some advice from you!
I've done this many times and GRC elbows have always come threaded on both ends.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
This is a unique situation with the POCO as we normally don't do anything on the primary side. But in this case we do, so they have given us a print out of what they require and there was nothing about bonding the sweeps. On the secondary side, I don't have to use the RGC sweep.
If I remember correctly, if they are 18" or more below grade, they don't need bonded. But if they sweep up out of the ground, I beleive they have to be bonded.

Not much of a problem if they come up into a disconnect or enclosure. But if they emerge from grade out at a power pole, then a ground wire had to be ran with the conduits but outside the conduits so it could be terminated.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong - like I said, I'm going by memory, and didn't bother to check the code book. Our local POCO doesn't require rigid sweeps anymore, and I think this had something to do with that change.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our POCO has us put a pipe clamp on the 90 and a bond jumper to their ground.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Our POCO has us put a pipe clamp on the 90 and a bond jumper to their ground.
I don't have to do anything at their end at the main transformer, just have to provide trench and conduit. They are setting a secondary pole and a pole mounted transformer. I will run underground from the pole to the building and meter. I have another meeting with them so I will ask them about any bonding.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If I remember correctly, if they are 18" or more below grade, they don't need bonded. But if they sweep up out of the ground, I beleive they have to be bonded.

Not much of a problem if they come up into a disconnect or enclosure. But if they emerge from grade out at a power pole, then a ground wire had to be ran with the conduits but outside the conduits so it could be terminated.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong - like I said, I'm going by memory, and didn't bother to check the code book. Our local POCO doesn't require rigid sweeps anymore, and I think this had something to do with that change.
Technically on the Primary they aren't covered by the NEC, so whatever the power company requires regarding grounding is fine. But your memory isn't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.