RGS Bends

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is there any problem/difficulty using a hydraulic bender for larger RGS conduits(3"+) or a factory elbows would be more practical?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No the proper bender will easily bend RMC. We use a Greenlee 881 table bender. The disadvantage of bending 90° elbows is that they're much larger than manufactured elbows so they require a lot more room to spin them on.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
On medium to large projects we bent large RMC on the job, if we only needed a few we had someone bend them in the shop (we actually did a lot of prefab) or bought a few factory bends.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it ever a problem that pre-made bends point the wrong way when the joints are tightened?

With factory bends, elbows can be flipped around or swapped out if that happens.

I usually use factory elbows for anything I can't bend with a standard bender, like above 1".

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Related, I had a 2 1/2” LR that the the long end hub threaded crooked. Not able to get a replacement, noticeable to a electrican and it was on the outside of a building

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So I still don't have a concensus? More likely to bend or use prefab? If use a prefab then you might need to cut and thread the length of conduit and provide a coupling as i don't beleive RGS elbows come with coupling.

muddyboots

Occupation
Electrician
You can do offsets and kicks with the 15° 30° and 45° prefab elbows. But you are limited to how small of a kick/offset you can do, and it can be a little tricky getting accurate measurements, but it's a thought I suppose.