Riding ring lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Any pointers on installing lighting in an indoor riding ring?

There are 3 dead HIDs and 8 300 watt quartz halogens that I plan to remove.

I am considering high bay 6 bulb T5HO. I think lenses are in order to keep dust and bugs out of the lights.
My present plan is to provide 30 Fc throughout the ring.

First challenge that I have is I need to get an all terrain scissor lift since the floor of this ring is soft dirt.

Any other words of experience??

I know I should do this work when the horses are in their stables.;)

Thank you.

sparky=t

indoor arena

indoor arena

if you use lenses i would suggest a dust proof fixture, if there are ventilation holes kas there are in a troffer the light will be diminished in a matter of a couple of months..

metal halide low bays?

open t-5 h.o.?

what ever you use i would make sure it can be easily cleaned (wrangler or ranch help with a water hose?)

If you have been around horse people you would be surprised!!

(own six)

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
"if you use lenses i would suggest a dust proof fixture, if there are ventilation holes kas there are in a troffer the light will be diminished in a matter of a couple of months.."

Are saying that dust will get in the fixture through the ventilation holes?

What to do about that??

Do dust proof fixtures not have ventilation holes? I think the ballasts are separately housed from the space where the bulbs are. Maybe that would keep out the dust.

sparky=t

typically a fixture like a low bay or high bay, you can hose the lens off.

if you figure the dust from riding, tractor and harrow to groom surface it will not take long to build up, factor in unit heaters, fans with dampered louvers ect. It's a dirty job, but you will do fine! :grin:

danickstr

if the ventilation is not great even a propane lift will get you dizzy after awhile. I would look for electric with big tires.

Do you have any dimensions for the place?

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
This ring is 64 X 120 with a truss ceiling with the lowest timber at 14' and the peak of the ceiling around 22'.

Never have done a job in a stable or riding arena before.

I'm also quoting running lines to various sheds out in the corrals, around 2K feet of trenching and piping.

The stables have 25 very old 2'x8' 2 tube T12 fixtures, half of them are not working. Her electric bill for the lighting is $800/month (there are also 2 1500 watt heaters running 24x7).

Does a ballast draw current if no bulbs are in?
I think they are always trying to start a bad bulb is the bulb is in place.

RETRAINDAILY

were doing the same fixture only 4-lamp
flour proof
we are using a aircraft cable with some kwick lock device
I think by B-line they work pretty good and then seal tight

sparky=t

you seem to be talking about 1) the arena , 2) sheded runs and 3) inside stalls and or manger areas.

arena, do they have panels along the exterior walls to keep horses off of them and create areas for observers? if so that would bring your lighting in some, tried doing a photometric?

outside runs, tank heaters are a necessary part of the buisness.

inside stalls or manger areas, can you replace fluor with cfl fixtures? maybe leave some unswitched or on a p.c. for nite light operation in hospital or sick areas.

horse buisness is tough here, hope they have good cash flow, and upscale clients! :roll:

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hi Sparky;

Yes, I am looking at arena, stables and outdoor stuff.
In the arena, no space for watchers. Cust is looking at getting better lighting in the ring ASAP.

In the stables, not sure what to propose to the cust. CFL uses less energy, I have not considered installed CFL in such a large area before. Lower priority (aka no $s for this right now)

Outside, yes, the cust has asked about sufficient power for tank heaters. How many watts for a medium tank heater? Trenching to be done as soon as the ground thaws.

This farm has about 40 horses, 20 of them belong to the farm. Biz could be better for them. They recently bought this place (5 yrs ago) and they are doing improvements whenever they can.

sparky=t

1500 watt subersible tank heater keeps my 120 gal tanks clear of ice until we get to subzero weather and wind chills on top of that, best scenario is automatic waters which hace an insulated cavity below the bowl and you could get by with 5 to 750W heaters. Chances are when the frost clears their priorities will shift also, are they running water lines at the same time?

you may think about running MWBC, with UF or tray cable and splitting up 3 - 4 heaters, yard lights ect. I am sure you will install GFI protection ;), you will be surprised how many tank heaters are not protected.

btw, sounds like alot of company horses, hope they have a good riding lesson buisness, becuase they sure won't make it as breeders right now! would be like speculating on office / warehouse shells.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hi Bill;
Yes the cust is running water lines. The water line install is the reason that there will be trenching, the elect is going along for the ride.
Of course GFIs and yes I was thinking about running split circuits out to the sheds.

Yup, too many horses, she would like someone to come along and buy them from her.

Bob, not sure of what she is paying, need to see her bill. My residential rate here in northern NJ is .18/KWhr. Here stable is a commercial accnt.

I am working up some numbers for her to show monthly/annual savings and pay back period.
There are some $ state funded incentives for swapping out old with new higher efficiency lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.