Rigid SeeSnake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Oh yeah. I think I posted about the See Snake Micro about a year ago. If you don't have one yet, your'e behind the curve. $199

mdshunk

quogueelectric said:
Kind of othroscopic surgery for electricians?
Maybe. I've used it to look into walls and ceilings and to read motor dataplates that weren't visible otherwise. For 200 bucks, I think it's a no-brainer.

quogueelectric

Done deal I will have one tomorrow I just wanted to not hear badness about view on the screen or light intensity I believe you may only need this thing a half a dozen times a year but when you need it you really need it.

480sparky

I got one last fall, and didn't have any planned use for it. It was one of those "It's such a cool tool, even if I never really need it" things.

But three weeks later, I went to trim a house I had wired. When I roughed it in, the fireplace wasn't installed yet, so I just had to leave the wires for it laying in the opening. I told the GC to have the FP installers wire it up because it's not in my bid to keep coming back because other trades can't get their rears in gear.

When I returned to trim, guess what. No surprise.... the FP installers just pushed the wires aside, slammed in the unit and beat feet outa there.

My first instinct was "Well, ain't this gonna be fun!" But as fortune would have it, my wires were on the side opposite the gas line, so I just pulled out the ole' See Snake (OK, not old, but brand-spankin new!), poked it through the gas line hole, and viol?! There they were, waiting to be snagged by a scrap piece of #12.

That problem alone paid for the unit. SInce then, I have located boxes buried in the walls and found a buried gas shut-off in a remodel I'm working on.

Well worth the 200 clams.

ultramegabob

480sparky said:
I got one last fall, and didn't have any planned use for it. It was one of those "It's such a cool tool, even if I never really need it" things.

But three weeks later, I went to trim a house I had wired. When I roughed it in, the fireplace wasn't installed yet, so I just had to leave the wires for it laying in the opening. I told the GC to have the FP installers wire it up because it's not in my bid to keep coming back because other trades can't get their rears in gear.

When I returned to trim, guess what. No surprise.... the FP installers just pushed the wires aside, slammed in the unit and beat feet outa there.

My first instinct was "Well, ain't this gonna be fun!" But as fortune would have it, my wires were on the side opposite the gas line, so I just pulled out the ole' See Snake (OK, not old, but brand-spankin new!), poked it through the gas line hole, and viol?! There they were, waiting to be snagged by a scrap piece of #12.

That problem alone paid for the unit. SInce then, I have located boxes buried in the walls and found a buried gas shut-off in a remodel I'm working on.

Well worth the 200 clams.

did you charge the GC for using it? it not, you need to so you can recoup your money on tools like that.

brian john

Thanks to Marc I quickly parted with several 100.00's purchasing a few of these. He had one I had to have at least two.

Drop that bolt while assembling a piece of gear and they are a time saver.

jdsmith

brian john said:
Thanks to Marc I quickly parted with several 100.00's purchasing a few of these. He had one I had to have at least two.

Drop that bolt while assembling a piece of gear and they are a time saver.

Definately true - I was surprised by how powerful the magnet was that came with the seesnake.

mdshunk

Sparky555 said:
Cool. I haven't bought a toy in a long time.

Dave
Rigid is still mostly marketing the See Snake Micro to plumbers (their core market), but I'm sure they would sell many more by putting ads for them in electrician and especially HVAC magazines. Sorta like the 21st century version of a dental mirror to look at stuff you can't get your eyes on.

The Iceman

I used mine to install one receptacle in 258 existing condo units. I used the See Snake to fish down walls and ceilings. It's very tough and takes some getting use to, but saves lots of time.

mdshunk

I've been using it also to make sure my long flex bits are centered when I drill through a fire block in the middle of a stud bay so that I don't dill out through the plaster. Using gadgets like the See Snake has builds value in your service if the customer is watching you. It has a certain "wow" factor, and helps to lessen sticker shock when you write up the bill. They're already thoroughly impressed.

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
did you charge the GC for using it? it not, you need to so you can recoup your money on tools like that.

Yes, but not so he knew it. I can get pretty sneaky about putting things like that into the bill. Kinda like the phone company....

iaov

I bought one a couple of months ago after reading about it in on one of Marcs posts. It's a great tool. I do a lot of remodeling work and it is so nice to be able to peek inside walls. It definately provides a Wow factor for the customer too.:smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iaov said:
I bought one a couple of months ago after reading about it in on one of Marcs posts. It's a great tool. I do a lot of remodeling work and it is so nice to be able to peek inside walls. It definately provides a Wow factor for the customer too.:smile:
Especially recessed retrofits in ceiling spaces with rooms above. HVAC ducts, plumbing, etc.

Next toy, I mean tool, on the list. ;)

electricalperson

LarryFine said:
Especially recessed retrofits in ceiling spaces with rooms above. HVAC ducts, plumbing, etc.

Next toy, I mean tool, on the list. ;)
i own one of these cameras and i swear its one of the best things ive ever bought. i used it to fish in a ton of receptacles in a 300 year old house. i jammed the camera in the wall to see where the snake was and stuck a piece in so i could catch it faster. made it a little easier

Status
Not open for further replies.