Ring Main / Ring Wiring Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If the two wires are not "electrically" joined at the end or at any portion of the loop--then we are defeating the purpose of the ring wiring scheme.
Clearly there is a difference between two conductors being (1) spliced or joined together (as in the terminology of 110.14(B)) and (2) connected via some low resistance conductive path. I'm saying "electrically joined" refers to condition (1) , and not condition (2), which the NEC typically refers to as "electrically connected".

Cheers, Wayne

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Clearly there is a difference between two conductors being (1) spliced or joined together (as in the terminology of 110.14(B)) and (2) connected via some low resistance conductive path. I'm saying "electrically joined" refers to condition (1) , and not condition (2), which the NEC typically refers to as "electrically connected".

Cheers, Wayne

OK,

I'm reading "spliced or joined together" -- as written in NEC 110.14b in simplistic term.
As written, it doesn't consider any minute resistance that may be encountered by the manner of how the splice was accomplished.
I can understand the quality of the connection or joining wires together by twisting or using lugs, using wire nuts can be impacted by poor workmanship.. . . not by using either ring or radial wiring system.

I think this is merely a play of semantics.

Of course anyone can make a case where there is big difference between "joining" and "connecting" two wires-- notwithstanding any miniscule resistance that may be encountered.

After all, anyone using NEC Code book can assert his/her interpretation on the meaning of how the article is written.
Even inspectors couldn't agree on some items sometimes. . . a sort of micro-managing without a centralized clearing house to arrive at a concensus.. . .that everyone could agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.