Ringing Hot Wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbone

I am doing a relocation of a factory line. I have done this once before and it was interesting. I had engineering support from both facilities and I was able to pull it off despite the fact that the footprint had changed from one place to the next but like I said, I had engineering support, etc., so basically I just mapped conduit runs, made wire logs with from/ to's, etc..

The problem I am running into at this facility is that the line is in production as I am documenting panel terminations. I cannot shut a production line down as I am working in these panels (pull an interlock loose, check for continuity, etc.). Some of the MCP's are atrocious. Yards of control wiring looped through the Panduit, some capped off, some laying in the bottom of the panels, some terminated with an extra 5'-10' of slack in the panel, etc. My initial thought was I could map the conduit runs (not much wire trough) and leave the more egregious panels alone by just focsing on the destinations (junction boxes with terminal blocks, control stations, etc.). But the more I am getting into this, I am seeing more than a few of the wires labeled differently from end to the other. I will open a control station and there will be interlock wires with brady tags, 13, 19, 24,... but at the MCP I will have I003192, I003032DC+, etc.. Just pulling on the wires won't work as whoever installed this mess to begin with used a LOT of condulets, lol. Must not have been too comfortable running pipe, but I digress... I know they make toners that are supposed to be able to ring out energized wiring but I am curious what peoples experience with these have been like. I know Greenlee makes just such a toner as I have used it at the power house but I know it cost about $700 and I never used it to tone hot wire with. Don't mind spending the dough if it WORKS but.. you get where I'm going with this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Justin LU68

S'mise

I am doing a relocation of a factory line. I have done this once before and it was interesting. I had engineering support from both facilities and I was able to pull it off despite the fact that the footprint had changed from one place to the next but like I said, I had engineering support, etc., so basically I just mapped conduit runs, made wire logs with from/ to's, etc..

The problem I am running into at this facility is that the line is in production as I am documenting panel terminations. I cannot shut a production line down as I am working in these panels (pull an interlock loose, check for continuity, etc.). Some of the MCP's are atrocious. Yards of control wiring looped through the Panduit, some capped off, some laying in the bottom of the panels, some terminated with an extra 5'-10' of slack in the panel, etc. My initial thought was I could map the conduit runs (not much wire trough) and leave the more egregious panels alone by just focsing on the destinations (junction boxes with terminal blocks, control stations, etc.). But the more I am getting into this, I am seeing more than a few of the wires labeled differently from end to the other. I will open a control station and there will be interlock wires with brady tags, 13, 19, 24,... but at the MCP I will have I003192, I003032DC+, etc.. Just pulling on the wires won't work as whoever installed this mess to begin with used a LOT of condulets, lol. Must not have been too comfortable running pipe, but I digress... I know they make toners that are supposed to be able to ring out energized wiring but I am curious what peoples experience with these have been like. I know Greenlee makes just such a toner as I have used it at the power house but I know it cost about $700 and I never used it to tone hot wire with. Don't mind spending the dough if it WORKS but.. you get where I'm going with this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Justin LU68

I would certainly get Eng on board to help spearhead this. Yes, you could use a toner (i would be careful it there is com circuits in use)
Document as much as you can. I would relabel any questionable terminals and both the panel and field sides wire. Even if the numbers do not ring out all the way into the field, you still will know wire 3192 went to 3192. Go over the prints for each panel and verify terminals reflect what you see. Also label conduits to boxes eg.. A,A B,B .... This will be invaluable when you put humpty back together.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I moved this from the Hazardous (Classified) Locations Forum. This Forum is more appropriate.

Davebones

We have a Amprobe pasar tracer . I think the model is CT326 . This is old but very reliable . I don't know what they have upgraded to but we are very happy with this . Locate 277 V ,120 V ,in ground , pretty much any thing you need . Very good using that we locate the correct circuit and don't shut off any other's by mistake .

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have a Amprobe pasar tracer . I think the model is CT326 . This is old but very reliable . I don't know what they have upgraded to but we are very happy with this . Locate 277 V ,120 V ,in ground , pretty much any thing you need . Very good using that we locate the correct circuit and don't shut off any other's by mistake .

That is an excellent tracer and it is deadly accurate. Unlike other tracers, it does not inject a signal, which tends to bleed off onto other wires, but actually draws a pulse off the line at a certain frequency. The only drawback with that tracer, is some computers operate at the same frequency, and can make it heard to trace due to the noise.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... But the more I am getting into this, I am seeing more than a few of the wires labeled differently from end to the other. ...
I know it don't help your current situation, but I've also ran into this on occasion. To anyone reading this... PLEASE do not [knowingly] label a wire differently on each end.

As to the main issue of your post, I think your time would be better served by ringing out the hard-to-trace circuits at disconnect time. While live circuit tracers are great in many instances, they do not indicate with 100% cetainty. One wrong wire placement on reassembly may take a long time to troubleshoot.

jbone

Thanks for all the input. All in all, there are about 30 wires undetermined so far as I can see (not too bad considering). There is com wire in the pipes as well so I am just going to wait until the actual shutdown then ring the wires out. Thanks for the heads up. Something I didn't consider. Hate to have a "situation" out here as the electricians are already getting blamed for just about any sort of electrical issue they are within a half mile of, lol. Ah, the joys of industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.