Rinsing out electrical after flood

scottwnuwer

Occupation
Electrician
After Hurricane Milton, we are experiencing several homes along the coast that have had load centers/main breakers either just above, at, or below the level of flood waters. Sometimes only the enclosure or cabinet received flooding (without submerging the load side wiring), and sometimes the bottom few breaker spaces on the busbar received flooding. First, I would like to know thoughts on trying to salvage the busbar and main breaker if only the bottom of the enclosure received flooding. Second, if the flood water did make it up to the few bottom breaker spaces, what is everyones thought on attempting to flush out the busbar and blow it out. Almost all of the flood damaged equipment is copper tinned bus, and the enclosure is located on the gulf of Mexico anyways. Typically the outdoor electrical enclosure only lasts 5-15 years anyways. I read the NEMA article mentioning reconditioning of panelboards, which I imagine would require a recertification. My thought is to flush out the enclosure, blow dry, hilco lube the connections, and recommend total replacement within 90 days. It has only been a little over a week from the storm and most connections seem solid. I only mention this possible approach because I am becoming overwhelmed with customers, and would like to provide a temporary solution to restore power so they can return home and live in the upstairs portion, and guarantee a panel change for the future. Thoughts?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the problem is that as long as customers have power the ninety days would end up being indefinite.

Personally, I would be inclined to rinse the cabinet out with a hose and clean water and get the dirt and debris out and then blow dry it overnight with a fan and call it good.

Having said that, I do worry about gfci and afci breakers that may have gotten wet.

I know that is not the official position but there are not going to be enough panelboards available to replace everything that got wet. IMO it is better to get as many people's power back on than to worry about if all the rules are followed.

I know people are going to go crazy wanting know what to do about the wet paper inside NM. I say just leave it for now. What is it going to hurt? If there is wall board that has to be removed it is likely possible to splice in some new NM above where the NM paper got wet.

scottwnuwer

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the reference ron. Breakers and devices would need to be replaced for certain. It says all NM needs to be removed if submerged.

My goal is similar, petersonra. Try to get as many people power safely. Also, has anyone ever rinsed/cleaned/flushed out a few of the lower spaces of a busbar that were submerged to temporarily save a relatively new panel? For temporary purposes, what are the rammifications? The power is off, you rinse/flush the salt off, dry the enclosure, spray the connections or busbar with hilco lube or lps2, and move on.
Did anyone deal with home run issues if the NM paper did receive moisture at the main panel? I remembered reading somewhere about NM cable needing to be cut back 10' from the point where the paper got wet. I found it somewhere deep in the rabbit hole.
I dealt with service riser replacements from hurricane Ian, so this is my first time with flooding (Helene and Milton combined).
Needing an education. Thanks.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
None of the typical residential breakers will be waterproof. Even IF you could get them to dry out, the damage is done internally, that includes the main breaker. Have been to sites that had water damages and even months later the breakers could have water inside, SD-QO have a window and can see water in the window or rust visible. Seen this sort of damage even without submersion from damaged SE cable allowing water to come into the panel.

Seen completely submerged panel that breakers never even tripped even with water inside. Can't be good