Riser Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So I've seen conduit risers go up in electrical closets and slots in the floor(see picture attached) etc. all to where you have access to the conduits on that particular floor. This DRAWING attached seems like it's a shaft that's completely enclosed. How would one gain access? Ok maybe before the wall is built but still then wouldn't you need access or just at the cable support boxes? Sure I'm not thinking about this correctly. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 10

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The walls go up after the conduit is installed. Yes access is required for the pull boxes that contain the conductor support apparatus.

JFletcher

I am sure the shaft walls are built after the conduit and firestopping is installed. You do not need access to the conduits, only to pull points, i e j boxes, lb, and like.

mstrlucky74

Thank you. So in the situation of the sketch more than likely the conduits would be supported as they are in the picture with strut spanning the opening at each floor??

victor.cherkashi

is there any section in code that will require specific distance in front of pull, support etc boxes? or it's open for contractor and inspector judgement?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

Yes just like in the photo you've posted.

One last thing, so if you had to support MC( smaller size that requires supports @ 6') or MI cable( every 6') how would you accomplish that? Strut floor to ceiling right at the edge of the opening. I see how you could put strut floor to ceiling but it seems you would have to offset the cable or MI to attach it to the strut assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.