RMC & IMC

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Can you use threadless fittings for these? I assume most of the time you would not use them and if so just for connectors and not couplings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes threadless are permitted but sometimes the spec will not allow them. As far as I know they cannot be direct buried.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yes threadless are permitted but sometimes the spec will not allow them. As far as I know they cannot be direct buried.
Coupling also come threadless? Seems like they do. I was only aware of connectors.
I assume nobody would EVER use these opn the end of full sticks that are already threaded and have the coupling.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sorry........ trying to make accurate databse assemblies. At least as accurate as possible because invariably things are done a bit different when it comes to install.

If I have a run of 1" RMC from a panel to a panel( only bends with no conduit bodies, boxes etc.). I would probably just have one cut and thread as I should assume the final stick of conduit landing at the panel as it will probably not be a full length?

If I have a run of 1" RMC from a panel to a panel with 3 factory elbows in between the run. I would make sense to assume 1 cut and thread for each elbow and one for the final stick of conduit landing at the panel as it proabably not be a full length?

Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would not be interested in hiring a contractor that did not field bend and field cut and thread 1" rigid.

I guess that if you only have one short run, the factory bends and threadless couplings and connectors might make a bit of sense from a cost point of view, but when you have multiple runs, field bending and threading will be cheaper.

Carultch

Coupling also come threadless? Seems like they do. I was only aware of connectors.
I assume nobody would EVER use these opn the end of full sticks that are already threaded and have the coupling.
Yes, you are correct that both couplings and connectors are available in threadless variants.

You may find your options more limited when it comes to using threadless fittings, instead of threaded fittings. Another issue to consider is whether your fitting is rated for use in a wet location, which usually is precisely the environment that governs the use of RMC or IMC in the first place, over EMT. Only exception I can think of, where I'd specify RMC in a dry location, is if vehicular traffic is a plausible risk.

Standard threaded couplings are automatically rated for use in a wet location, as long as you use tapered threads inside them. Whereas to use threadless connectors, couplings, and 3-piece couplings, you have the burden of proof to determine whether the manufacturer's documentation endorses its use in a wet location. You might see raintight as another term for suitable for use in a wet location.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
You all need to get a greenlee555 and some sort of threader if your going to start playing with RMC regularly