Rmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Article 344 states that couplings arent allowed with running threads. I understand this is due to not being able to adequately tighten both sides. Does it also has to do withe that fact the coupling isnt tappered and conduit is?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Article 344 states that couplings arent allowed with running threads. I understand this is due to not being able to adequately tighten both sides. Does it also has to do withe that fact the coupling isnt tappered and conduit is?
I'm not so sure that the taper has anything to do with it. When using the coupling at the running thread the RMC is weakened. Back in the day when everything was RMC this was called a depression coupling because 3-piece couplings (Erickson's) were too expensive. Looked like this "depression coupling":

Running Thread Coupling001.JPG Running Thread Coupling002.JPG

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I may have done that when supply house was 40 miles away and i needed to get it done

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I'm not so sure that the taper has anything to do with it. When using the coupling at the running thread the RMC is weakened. Back in the day when everything was RMC this was called a depression coupling because 3-piece couplings (Erickson's) were too expensive. Looked like this "depression coupling":

View attachment 2559989 View attachment 2559990
Sounds reasonable. A lot of the whys are lost to history.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I'm not so sure that the taper has anything to do with it. When using the coupling at the running thread the RMC is weakened. Back in the day when everything was RMC this was called a depression coupling because 3-piece couplings (Erickson's) were too expensive. Looked like this "depression coupling"

Labor was cheaper way back too.
In this excerpt from the 1914 American Electrician's Handbook they show the use of a cut off section of another coupling instead of a normal locknut to make the joint a little more rigid. But it's still weakened compared to a full taper on the conduit.
The extra cost of an Erickson was also mentioned in the book as you've indicated.

Running_thread_coupling.png

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Labor was cheaper way back too.
In this excerpt from the 1914 American Electrician's Handbook they show the use of a cut off section of another coupling instead of a normal locknut to make the joint a little more rigid. But it's still weakened compared to a full taper on the conduit.
The extra cost of an Erickson was also mentioned in the book as you've indicated.

View attachment 2559991
Awesome.

djd

the threads , the conduits smaller , at the threads I mean .

kwired

Electron manager
the threads , the conduits smaller , at the threads I mean .
The "running thread" portion is not tapered, and is consistent OD until you get to where it starts to taper. It will not tighten in the side with running thread other than should you put a jam nut on it or let it bottom out, but only takes slight turning and it is just as loose as if you made three full turns. With tapered thread in the socket once it starts to tighten up, it always has a reasonable amount of contact to assure fair electrical continuity. Wrench tight isn't really a torque spec, but kind of has some unwritten acceptable variance to it and could easily be acceptably tight enough even though is fairly easy to get another turn or two out of it.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds reasonable. A lot of the whys are lost to
The "running thread" portion is not tapered, and is consistent OD until you get to where it starts to taper. It will not tighten in the side with running thread other than should you put a jam nut on it or let it bottom out, but only takes slight turning and it is just as loose as if you made three full turns. With tapered thread in the socket once it starts to tighten up, it always has a reasonable amount of contact to assure fair electrical continuity. Wrench tight isn't really a torque spec, but kind of has some unwritten acceptable variance to it and could easily be acceptably tight enough even though is fairly easy to get another turn or two out of it.
The running threads arent tappered and neither is the coupling threads, right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The running threads arent tappered and neither is the coupling threads, right?
That's correct, only the last portion of the running thread is tapered (farthest from the end) which the normal thread length. Electrical couplings are not tapered.

Status
Not open for further replies.