Romex in accessible ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

Was it ever compliant to have nm where the ceiling is acoustic tile? The cables are yellow. I guess that color is no older than the 90s. The bldg is 1 story wood framed commercial.

retire09

I'm not positive, but I believe it was allowed prior to 2002. I have seen it in many older buildings.

luckylerado

I do not remember a time when NM cable was allowed exposed in accessible ceiling in a commercial application but Romex has been around a lot long then I have been doing this.

Was it always commercial? Was it always accessible?

334.12(A)(2) Uses Not Permitted

(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than
one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

2014 Handbook explanation:
"Nonmetallic-sheathed cables are prohibited in the space above
hung ceilings that allow access. This requirement does not affect
dwelling-type occupancies. The term exposed, as used in this
requirement, closely follows the definition of exposed (as applied to
wiring methods) found in Article 100, which states ?on or attached
to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.?
For example, cables installed above a dropped gypsum board
ceiling or dropped gypsum board soffit would not be considered
exposed cable, provided the area above the ceiling is not accessible
(does not have removable tiles or does not contain an access panel).
Often hung or dropped ceilings are accessible; therefore, cables
installed above these types of ceilings would be considered exposed
cables if the cables do not have additional physical protection.
A simple change to an architectural finish schedule during construction
could change the acceptability of the wiring method. For
example, if a corridor ceiling in an occupancy (other than a dwelling type)
called for a painted gypsum board ceiling and the finish
schedule changed the ceiling construction to a 2 foot by 2 foot
accessible tile ceiling, the wiring method would no longer be permitted
to be NM cable unless the cable was installed using additional
protection. Examples of additional protection are found in 334.15(B)."

Last edited:

electricalist

I'll try to make this short but understandable.
We added some lights on a commercial building. While the inspector was checking my work he sees some terrible work that was done.
I told him I was aware and passed on what I saw to my office and the contractor. He said if what I find was code compliant at time of install then it's ok but everything unsafe and dangerous must be addressed. The tenants are going way to far with handyman work and someone's gonna get hurt. There's about 12 suites. This is the first.
5aa97c5b350fd02220a71f76e674d4de.jpg
610becd3efe342980b763835f435e4f6.jpg
92a87b9177d59f35272a3745ad996567.jpg
4ce69e3b244311244e80670ee0ad3bf6.jpg
144bef855e181c36ef34b37bace9ef33.jpg

It's a mess and needs to be addressed.

electricalist

That's for sure. My only reason is how far the nm goes. I try to be fair despite who gets the bill. So if I can use the cable and install it correctly I would like too.

retire09

In the 1999 NEC NM cable was in article 336.
Nothing was mentioned about being not permitted above a dropped or suspended ceiling.

John120/240

Was it ever compliant to have nm where the ceiling is acoustic tile? The cables are yellow. I guess that color is no older than the 90s. The bldg is 1 story wood framed commercial.

If Romex was acceptable above a drop ceiling when installed OK. But the C-Fan attached to the ceiling grid never has been OK. So when correctly installing the C-Fan I would remove the Romex & replace with MC cable. My question is How extensive do you look for non compliant work when renovating a space ?

electricalist

If Romex was acceptable above a drop ceiling when installed OK. But the C-Fan attached to the ceiling grid never has been OK. So when correctly installing the C-Fan I would remove the Romex & replace with MC cable. My question is How extensive do you look for non compliant work when renovating a space ?
I dont find the question easy to answer. Its a loaded question. If I say I look for anything that I think is wrong it can be seen as the scare tactic electrician looking for a fast dollar or a good electrician doing whats right.Same goes for if I dont look at any more than what I m working on. Im a lazy electrician that isnt helping correct the problem and are just dont care about the lives of others.
My answer is anything I see while working on my work that is unsafe,,, I tell some body, whoever is in charge of or on the property,and make a note on my time sheet of what I saw. Thats about as far a go. And of coarse I wont connect to any un safe condition , like those fans Id just call the office and tell them something else has to be done for me to work on it.
In this situation the person who own all the suites hired the GC to update the fronts of all the spaces. our part is a light or 2 at each location,,,permited and inspected. I got a green tag on my 2 sconces and 12 can lights,.
Who do you think will get the bill to correct these things and as I asked the inspector ,,,how far do you want me to look into these spaces ,,,he replied and Im not quoting him ,,,,,,,,,as far as it takes to be sure these tenants havent created the next news flash,,,building burns down.

Status
Not open for further replies.