Romex in Detached Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt102

May NM be used in a residential detached garage without a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating?

(1)One- and two-family dwellings.
(2)Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.

Then there is (3)

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

This question arises from a seminar yesterday.

Jim Grant
Rochester, New Hampshire

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd consider the detached garage to be a part of a dwelling unit, given the structure of 210.70. They are included in "(A) Dwelling Unit", as an additional location.

I don't see a greater hazard when the garage is detached from the dwelling unit, IMO.

M. D.

George it seems to me this structure is different from the dwelling unit.

For dwelling units , attached garages, and , detached garages...

This is a list of things , IMO.

The way 334.10 is worded this type III , IV ,V (I assume) would need the 15 minute finish rating .

bphgravity

I agree with M.D.

Open cell and truss design in a Type III, IV, or V construction type requires the cablke to be concealed within the 15 mintue finish.

volt101

georgestolz said:
I don't see a greater hazard when the garage is detached from the dwelling unit, IMO.

Me neither

But the code is black and white. (and grey all over)

I think that a code proposal for 2011 is in order.

Jim Grant
Rochester, New Hampshire

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
M. D. said:
For dwelling units , attached garages, and , detached garages...

This is a list of things , IMO.
It's contained in 210.70(A), not 210.70(C), just to clarify what I was trying to say.

What is necessary to attain a 15-minute finish rating?

david

(1)is single family dwellings (2) Multi family dwellings The code says what it says it does not mention the premises for these structures, it calls out the structures them selves .
On the other hand it is not a stretch to say this is an over site on the language (1) should be single family dwellings and their accessory buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.