Romex Staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just wondering what type/brand NM cable staples everyone is using these days. I recently used some that I could not drive into the wood of a 22 year old house without them twisting or bulging. It seems that they're getting cheaper and cheaper. I remember a few decades ago when I started in this business that we would bang them in all day long in 80 year old wood without any problems. Are there some brands or types that are better than others for old work?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've switched over to using a DeWalt staple gun for most places. You need to hold it down or the gun will kick and the staple will not penetrate fully. Should this happen, a hammer can repair the problem. If you hold the gun down, it usually works nicely.

Staple Gun

If I have to bang them in, I prefer staples that have a plastic top so I don't introduce shorts that I will never find. These are harder to install than the all metal ones since the nails do bend in harder wood. Hitting the nail solidly and very centered with a hammer (not any other tool) minimizes this.

NM Staple

Last edited:

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Down my way( south Fl) it seems the growing trend is to not use staples anymore at all. Nothing metallic in the walls whatsoever. All zip ties and standoffs.

480sparky

New construction gets my Arrow T-75 with listed NM staples. Older homes get typical wire staples banged in with a hammer if the wood's so hard the Arrow won't work.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I find it helps to hold one leg of the staple with the tip of my pliers until the staple is well started.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Just wondering what type/brand NM cable staples everyone is using these days.
I apprenticed being given uninsulated steel staples. Knew 'em as "knob staples." Seemed one in ten would fold or collapse upon being driven.

1581279633931.png
Upon starting work in Minnesota I was encouraged to use plastic two-nail, and have been loyal to Sturgeon Bay products ever since. I find their basic 1/2" NM cable strap to have great installation qualities.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I use a gardner bender staple boss. Shoots insulated staples and may need to tap in with a hammer. I am waiting for Milwaukee to come out with a M12 electric stapler

Marshmo

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Normally I would recommend Dotie. They seemed to be one of the last holdouts to go to a cheaper alloy. Not too long ago they caved and are as flimsy as the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.