Romex to AC Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
If disconnect is mounted on exterior a sleeve will be required since nm is not permitted in damp or wet locations per 334.12(A)(4). Also not permitted to be embedded in masonry 334.12(2). Exterior enclosures will have 1/4” gap per 404.4 and to comply with 312.2. So without a sleeve your nm will be in a damp or wet location.

Running a cable through a drilled hole is not "embedded in masonry."

The area at the back of the disconnect and around the building penetration should be sealed with silicone or similar so I do not see that as wet or damp.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Running a cable through a drilled hole is not "embedded in masonry."

The area at the back of the disconnect and around the building penetration should be sealed with silicone or similar so I do not see that as wet or damp.
I agree, we've been wiring them that way for as long as there have been AC disconnects.

GMc

Now I ask, where are all those that said doing this install with NM would be a violation. I'm glad to hear its compliant but just confused. Use to be even when running PVC outside would require THWN conductors but now reading these responses it doesn't appear so.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now I ask, where are all those that said doing this install with NM would be a violation. I'm glad to hear its compliant but just confused. Use to be even when running PVC outside would require THWN conductors but now reading these responses it doesn't appear so.
The NEC specifically states that the inside of a raceway run in wet location is a wet location. It makes no such mention about the inside of a disconnect mounted in a wet location.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Correct
The NEC specifically states that the inside of a raceway run in wet location is a wet location. It makes no such mention about the inside of a disconnect mounted in a wet location.
. Correct. Only the 1/4” to get to the disconnect.🤔

GMc

Happen to read any of the arguments in the thread I posted?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I did and I can see the point about the 1/4" gap but as stated in that thread and by electrofelon in this thread the penetration is sealed so there is no issue.

kwired

Electron manager
didn't read whatever thread you posted, do know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse in the past with no definite answer either way. Seems majority are permitted to enter back of outdoor enclosure with NM cable but some have AHJ that won't allow it. That is about the only real answer there is IMO.

You are welcome to try to submit changes NFPA to clarify this or you can live with what the AHJ lets you do.

GMc

do know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse in the past with no definite answer either way.

Your not kidding!

and because I didn't see anyone even question the installation in this thread I thought I missed a code change along the way so I had to ask. :unsure:

You are welcome to try to submit changes NFPA to clarify this or you can live with what the AHJ lets you do.

Hasn't helped when others have tried in the past so I'll just hope for a reasonable inspector.. :)

Thanks

GMc

I agree. The only trick would be to somehow get the NM to the 3R disconnect. It sounds like you are saying its ok to run NM in PVC if its only for a 1/4" and it has some silicone on it.

I did and I can see the point about the 1/4" gap but as stated in that thread and by electrofelon in this thread the penetration is sealed so there is no issue.

They talk about more than just the 1/4".
post 7
post 9
post 11 real reasonable inspector here, no sense at all.
post 36

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.