Romex useage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Does anyone here have a value that works out fairly consistently for romex useage in new construction? 14/2 for lighting and general purpose receps, 12-2 where required, and 14/3 for smokes and 3and 4way switching? Thanks.

danickstr

that sounds good to me. I don't really see the need for a lot of 12-2 rec. wiring, although there are guys who will disagree with me. Any two typical space heaters will overload both a 15 and 20 amp circuit, so what is the point of 12 gauge?

ceb58

Does anyone here have a value that works out fairly consistently for romex useage in new construction? 14/2 for lighting and general purpose receps, 12-2 where required, and 14/3 for smokes and 3and 4way switching? Thanks.

1000ft 14-2 per 1000 sq ft 500ft 12-2 per 1500 sq ft 500ft 14-3 per 1500 sq ft
This is a SWAG method but it get you real close unless there is something really crazy.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
and 14/3 for smokes and 3and 4way switching? Thanks.
What do you mean by this part of your question? If those devices are part of a 20 amp circuit they will have to be # 12, the same as the rest of the particular branch circuit conductors are.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OP said: 14/2 for lighting. I believe he is using 15 amp circuits for lights.
And I think you are right, I just wasn't absolutely sure that was what the OP meant.

Roger

mivey

...what is the point of 12 gauge?
600 additional VA per circuit, better performance on longer runs, sturdier wire.

The issue I have with #12 at times is I sometimes run into box fill issues with some switching setups, otherwise I do not use it except on a dedicated circuit with smaller known loads (like some lighting circuts, etc). I'm not a fan of 15 amp general use receptacles.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I always use 14 for lights. I made the mistake once of using 12, since all existing lighting was done in 12. 12 crowds a box quickly & even when in limits, makes getting switches lined up a pain. Customer wants a dimmer, have to pack wire in with a hammer handle.

I use 12 for kitchen & bath ckts, as required. Sometimes for other recep ckts, like a workshop with lots of tools. If I kow things will be redone a lot, I use deep metal boxes with RS covers, allows more space to tap for a future something.

I have seen a space heater overload a 15 amp ckt by itself, a few of the larger ones. If I know space heaters will be used, I go to 12 for sure.

Sometimes I put 2 br's together on 12 instead of separate on 14. I play by ear, see how crowded panel is, how much load may be used, what I have on the truck, whether yellow or white cable is more appealing that day.......

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I always use 14 for lights.
Agreed (unless the load needs 20a).

I use 12 for kitchen & bath ckts, as required.
Agreed.

If I know space heaters will be used, I go to 12 for sure.
Agreed.

Sometimes I put 2 br's together on 12 instead of separate on 14.
Disagree a bit. One 20a circuit will hold a large load that no number of 15a circuits will.

My default for GP receptacle circuits is 20a unless there's a reason to use a 15a circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.