romex vs. m/c cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire monk

What is the difference from using romex are using m/c cable in a commercial building.. The inspector wanted the romex removed in the drop ceiling and m/c cable put in.??? I know it is in the code but what is the difference??

lefty

I believe there original reason, was fire smoke load reasons in the code. Most of these were in part because of the ventilation above the dropped ceiling and the smoke would enter in the return air system. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can chime in.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If this isn't your new work, I'd find out if the NM installation was compliant when new, and discuss with the customer who's going to pay for the extra work and materials if it has to be changed.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Lefty, the typical reason is smoke.

But I also agree with Larry that it may not really have to come out.

lefty

In Oklahoma,the AHJ has the final decesion along with the fire marshal, and that is final, if it is not done, no final inspection, and they'll cut off the service. Not all AHJ's are like this but most of them are getting this way and will later this year when we have a statewide uniform building code. If the AHJ told us this we would have to tell the owner that it'll have to be replaced and it's up to us to work it out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.