roof mounted system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh183

are there any guide lines with the roof panels being at the edge , side ,bottom or how close to the ridge

c_picard

Aside from the obvious access guidelines....

Aside from the obvious access guidelines....

Please, oh, please, if you are an engineer or salesperson designing systems....consider that a human has to actually get on the roof and install the system you design! I have had to install modules that were virtually hanging off the roof, not fun, even with fall protection.

Also, most homes have gutters, and they are there for a reason. I am sadly anticipating the day when homeowners start blaming rotten sill plates on PV arrays that render the gutters useless.

A catch 22 I see everyday is a company requirement to install a permanent, stainless steel fall protection anchor on each array I install; yet most systems are squeezed so tight to the ridge that the anchor gets buried under the panels. I guess there's a little more to it than just having a place to bury your hatchet(to vent the roof), that's all;)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Also, most homes have gutters, and they are there for a reason. I am sadly anticipating the day when homeowners start blaming rotten sill plates on PV arrays that render the gutters useless.

A good guideline is that modules should be 8" minimum from the edge of the roof (not including the gutter).

mh183

no I am looking from an inspectors point of view , and I am awaiting these specific manufacture specification i do not find any code articles in the n.e.c or i.b.c . I have see one manufacture list the panel with these issues in mind 6" from bottom and from side . What I was reaching out for is any one aware of code article I have not found this is in N.J.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have recently seen a document that addresses these issues, and when I can find it I will post a link to it here. It calls for arrays to leave open a certain distance from roof hips, valleys, peak, and eaves, with open pathways to skylights and vents and from edge to ridgeline.

EDIT: Never mind, it was posted earlier in this thread:
http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/pdf/photovoltaics/solarphotovoltaicguideline.pdf

wyrepullr

on flat roofs

on flat roofs

I have no way to back this up, but as I have been taught by more than one person , from more than one company, concerning flat roofs in commercial settings is that you are supposed to leave 5 feet clear to the edge. in the north you also need to be concerned with snow loads and drifting, along parapit style walls. this is what structural engineers are for. Please dont take that as law because i have been unable to verify. But it does make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.