Rooftop Units with GFCI Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthwestPV

We have a job were the Rooftop units came with the GFCI's factory installed on the inside of the units. Since they are on the inside, can they still be considered the service receptacle?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it is a great idea and I don't see anything that requires the gfci to be outdoors. I can see an inspector perhaps asking for a sign or something stating the gfci is inside the unit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see a problem as far as a receptacle for servicing the unit (210.63). I think it might be a little more controversial as far as that receptacle meeting the requirement in 210.8 for a rooftop readily accessible receptacle. It might depend on the details as to accessibility.

ronlow00

We have used simular equipment layouts in many installation and it has never been a problem. Code doesn't specifically state where the receptacle to be located other than within 25' of the equipment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One important factor is that the receptacle should remain energized when the local disconnect for the equipment is open.
If you disconnect the equipment for maintenance using a remote breaker, it is hard to see how the internal receptacle would get its lower.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
One important factor is that the receptacle should remain energized when the local disconnect for the equipment is open.
If you disconnect the equipment for maintenance using a remote breaker, it is hard to see how the internal receptacle would get its lower.

The units I am familiar with you need to use their disconnect kit and the receptacle is feed from the line side and there is a separate disconnect for the receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.