Rooftop Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

servtec30

I am working on a job where I am required to run 14/2 fpl across a rooftop. I am having trouble finding the regs pertaining to conduits or raceways required to protect such wires. The roof is flat and on top of a hotel. Anyone know the regs? Is pvc allowed?

MAK

So you are running it "soft" across a roof? I would think you would want something that would have some UV resistance as well. I do not know if it is required but it would seem to be necessary.

nhfire77

Schedule 40 or 80 is permissible on a roof, normally.

Do you have a copy of the NEC?? This is a chapter 3 wiring method. Any raceway suitable for a wet exterior location will work.

Also consult article 760, just for good measure.

Btw, as previously stated the fpl has to be rated for a wet location. You can't use red jacketed fpl. Think THHN, honeywell makes wet location fpl, but its more $. Don't forget to account for expansion/contraction when installing the race way.

iwire

Staff member
And if you do run PVC in small sizes, 1/2", 3/4" 1" etc that it must be supported every 3'.

I would be thinking IMC or RMC if it was me.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Schedule 40 or 80 is permissible on a roof, normally.

Do you have a copy of the NEC?? This is a chapter 3 wiring method. Any raceway suitable for a wet exterior location will work.

Also consult article 760, just for good measure.

Btw, as previously stated the fpl has to be rated for a wet location. You can't use red jacketed fpl. Think THHN, honeywell makes wet location fpl, but its more $. Don't forget to account for expansion/contraction when installing the race way.

Thhn alone is not rated for wet location, Thwn is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.