Rope

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
You want to use a double braided rope. Standard rope may have too much stretch in them and become a safety hazard. You don't have to buy Greenlee because you'll just be paying for the name. After market double braided ropes will be much cheaper. As far as size, it depends on the size of the conductors and the length of the pull. Any conductors larger than 4/0, I always used a 3/4" rope. #1 through 4/0, a good 3/8" rope will usually do the trick. I never used a 1/4" rope on anything larger than 3/0. Make sure to use rigid 90's if the pull will be hard or if it is a substantial length. The rope will burn right through the PVC 90.

garbo

Use a sheet bend to tie different sized ropes together.

View attachment 2572298

You can also use it to attach a rope to a sheet or tarp.
That is one of the 5 basic knots we learned as Big Scouts many years ago. While in Viet Nam because I was the commo guy ( I installed telephones ) I got stuck on a detail installing cut in halve telephone poles into the ground to hang fence & barb wire. We would used a big wrecker truck to lower poles into the ground. Ropes keep slipping because nobody but me know how to tie a clove hitch around poles then a few halve hitches every foot. Best knot failures when going night fishing on a party boat and when guy who tied his own knot on a heavy hook caught a huge blue fish. Got it up to the boat and knot failed.

kwired

Electron manager
I only started using tape a few years ago. I like it a lot. Much mle compact and lighter to carry around. Much easier on PVC 90's, although I have never burned through one with regular rope.
We get directional boring crews that bore in HDPE with pull tape already installed in it. I generally keep that tape as it comes in handy for other pulling applications. Doesn't burn through PVC elbows nearly as easily as regular rope does.