RTD and NTC sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzazayyad

hi

i would like to know if I can use general purpose RTD and NTC sensors in class 1 div2 location
but the sensor cable is pvc cable!!!!

thank

hi

i would like to know if I can use general purpose RTD and NTC sensors in class 1 div2 location
but the sensor cable is pvc cable!!!!

thank

Both of those elements are non-heat producing, non-arcing devices. They would not required to be in an XP enclosure or sealed in. Any of the acceptable wiring method except IS would be acceptable and maybe even NI wiring is applicable dependent on the circuit, but that may be an area you want to stau away from given the level of expertise - based on your previous comments - you are exhibiting. In other words, terminate your (PL)TC-ER cable at the device with a cable gland and install a cable-channel from that point on.

lasstss

rtd use

rtd use

I have one RTD located in a Class 1 Div2 location that is wired into a purged cabinet just below it. Does it need a barrier? Is a cord grip into the purged base acceptable?

Also, do I need to use PLTC wire to connect to powered devices connected into the purged enclosure? The base enclosure is purged to Class 1 Div1 and has a nema 7 box attached to it for incoming power.

Thanks for any help.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have one RTD located in a Class 1 Div2 location that is wired into a purged cabinet just below it. Does it need a barrier? Is a cord grip into the purged base acceptable?

Also, do I need to use PLTC wire to connect to powered devices connected into the purged enclosure? The base enclosure is purged to Class 1 Div1 and has a nema 7 box attached to it for incoming power.

Thanks for any help.
What type of barrier did you envision and to what purpose?

A cord grip into a purged box may be acceptable depending on other physical protections given to the flexible cord; however, since we don?t know what is actually inside the base enclosure it?s hard to tell. PLTC or other flexible cords/cables installed per Section 501.140 may be acceptable. It is also rather unusual to purge an explosionproof enclosure.

lasstss

RTD's

RTD's

With a z purged enclosure do I need a barrier or isolator? The nema 7 box is outside the purged panel and has a seal off fitting.
If the panel is purges why does it matter what is in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.