Rubber glove testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We are a manufacturing facility with about 6 people who have rubber gloves for maintenance purposes . We deal with voltages up to 480V .My understanding is these gloves need to be tested every 6 months .Does anyone know a shop around Tampa Fl where we can get this done ? We are located near New Port Richey Fl.

charlie

You might check with the local electric utility to see if they send their's out. We test our own gloves, sleeves, and blankets but some don't. :smile:

charlie

The photo of the guy testing gloves looks like our testing equipment. It is really cool to be in the room if you can talk them into turning out the lights and watch the corona dancing around. :)

KentAT

I actually send mine to the local utility's rubber goods testing facility (PP&L in PA). Pretty close to me, reasonable prices, so far so good.

Ken9876

The guy at work that handles this told me it was cheaper to buy new ones than to have them tested, don't know how true that is but that's what I was told.

A-1Sparky

I'm not sure how much new ones are, but we send ours out every 6 months, and it's $30 per pair. I'm guessing new ones are probably a lot more than $30.

KentAT

The guy at work that handles this told me it was cheaper to buy new ones than to have them tested, don't know how true that is but that's what I was told.

My most recent purchases of new gloves (Salisbury) had no test dates on them. If they did, they would have been good for 12 months from the test date when purchased new.

If they are not dated, then you have to test them before using them. That kindof defeats the purpose of buying new to save money.

Kent

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My most recent purchases of new gloves (Salisbury) had no test dates on them. If they did, they would have been good for 12 months from the test date when purchased new.

If they are not dated, then you have to test them before using them. That kindof defeats the purpose of buying new to save money.

Kent
You have to specify that you want the test date on the gloves when you order them.

cturner

I didn't know that! Why would they not put the test dates on anyway?

The manufacturer does not know when they will be purchased or put into use. They could sit on a supply house or big box shelf for months or years making the date stamp invalid.

The reason you want to have them tested, besides it being required, before first use is that I have heard 1st time testing failure rates as high as 30% on gloves coming directly from the manufacturer.

I refuse to buy gloves from local supply houses or big boxes for this reason. We buy ours directly from the company that performs our testing to make sure they are tested before we first get them.

76nemo

Shame that a new pair runs $60.00 from Grainger for 1000Volt / 5000VAC tested--Just the glove not the gaunlet -:cool:

How much did your last dinner with your wife cost at the local elegant eatery??? Don't tell us $60 is outlandish for the possibility of saving your life.

Mikee9417

Rubber Glove Testing

Rubber Glove Testing

Ok...so here is a simple rundown of testing frequencies. Rubber gloves need to be tested every 6 months; but here?s the exception. When your gloves come from a lab tested, they are sealed in a plastic bag. The 6 month time cycle starts after opening the gloves or putting them in use. The gloves then can have a test date 365 days old and still be good. Here?s how this works:
-Your gloves are tested 01-01-09 and you use the gloves on 01-01-09; the gloves are good until06-01-09.

-Your gloves are tested 01-01-09 and you put them in use on 05-05-09; the gloves are good through 11-05-09.

-Your gloves are tested 01-01-09 and you put them in use on 12-01-09; your gloves expire on 01-01-10.

Our lab in Pittsburgh charges $8.00/pr for the cleaning, testing and recertification of the gloves.

If anyone wants to go over the process of testing the gloves; or anything else that needs testing per OSHA 1910.137b just ask and I will be more than happy to explain!

Status
Not open for further replies.