Ruffin or wall/ceiling cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
In residential is it common to have a ruffin inspection or ceiling/wall cover insp. And what
all has to be completed in ruffin inspection. I usually do comercial so i know what a wall ceiling cover is but not ruff in inspection.

Bobhook149

Ruff everything leave it open, they inspect then put up the drywall. Go back finish and call for your final. 2 part thing around here.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Usually a residential rough-in inspection will consist of looking at all of the stuff that will be concealed after the ceilings and walls are closed. We splice out all of the boxes too so that they don't need to be inspected later after all of the devices and fixtures are installed.

e57

I usually do comercial so i know what a wall ceiling cover is but not ruff in inspection.
The same thing - Rough in = Ceiling/Wall cover. Does not even equal the difference between a glass, and a cup.

For that matter I will make further note that residential and commercial while both "electrical work" are the same, but may be closer to the difference between a glass, and a cup..... With only a few subtle distinctions of material and scale.

Rewire

The same thing - Rough in = Ceiling/Wall cover. Does not even equal the difference between a glass, and a cup.

For that matter I will make further note that residential and commercial while both "electrical work" are the same, but may be closer to the difference between a glass, and a cup..... With only a few subtle distinctions of material and scale.

I am not sure what you are trying to say But I am thirsty.

bphgravity

We typcially have 4 inspections for a typical 1&2 family dwelling.

1. Concrete-Encased Electrode
2. New Service / T-power / T-pole
3. Rough-in
4. Final.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

He's saying that a rough in is a rough in whether it's commercial or residential. The only real difference is that in commercial you may have a suspended ceiling instead of a hard lid, which simply means two inspections instead of one.

Everyone want's to make commercial and residential so much different, and they are really not. I've actually always thought that residential was harder, simply because you have so much required stuff that has to be put in and in commercial there are very few required things.

e57

He's saying that a rough in is a rough in whether it's commercial or residential. The only real difference is that in commercial you may have a suspended ceiling instead of a hard lid, which simply means two inspections instead of one.

Everyone want's to make commercial and residential so much different, and they are really not. I've actually always thought that residential was harder, simply because you have so much required stuff that has to be put in and in commercial there are very few required things.
Exactly, and I think you and I agree. FWIW I often bend more conduit in residential.... ;) And my last resi gig had 6 separate rough inspections, 4 conctrete/in grade, and 1 final. All passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.