running 4/0 SER under joists in basement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Thanks. I think with smaller cables, they are concerned with damage by people hanging items on them. I'm trying to remember if I've seen 4/0 SER or that large of cable exposed under basement joists.... I just wonder about possible physical damage to this service cable. In new homes we always have it hidden in walls, or in floor trusses, etc.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Ser has a good jacket on it if it's such a concern for physical damage then the plastic plumbing in the basement is in for something not fun in the future. I always try and run it in a way to make future finishing easy like next to an hvac trunk or the main drain stack. There's always the option to go with a conduit sleeve if you want some in-between

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks. I think with smaller cables, they are concerned with damage by people hanging items on them. I'm trying to remember if I've seen 4/0 SER or that large of cable exposed under basement joists.... I just wonder about possible physical damage to this service cable. In new homes we always have it hidden in walls, or in floor trusses, etc.
If that is the reasoning that makes no sense. Cables drilled through framing members but not covered up are still just as subject to having things hang on them and their size doesn't really change this either.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
If that is the reasoning that makes no sense. Cables drilled through framing members but not covered up are still just as subject to having things hang on them and their size doesn't really change this either.
AHJ here requires horitonal NM in garages, shops, etc, to be protected...A piece of blocking wood over it or something, so you can't hang stuff on it, or lean stuff against it.

kwired

Electron manager
AHJ here requires horitonal NM in garages, shops, etc, to be protected...A piece of blocking wood over it or something, so you can't hang stuff on it, or lean stuff against it.
I've done that myself at times, or just keep runs vertical as much as practical if walls are not planned to be covered anytime soon.

Basements with unfinished ceilings? Been many times I've seen things hanging from cables, pipes, etc. whether they were drilled through framing members or not.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
I've done that myself at times, or just keep runs vertical as much as practical if walls are not planned to be covered anytime soon.

Basements with unfinished ceilings? Been many times I've seen things hanging from cables, pipes, etc. whether they were drilled through framing members or not.
Yup, when I was a kid my mom used to treat the infrastructure in the ceiling as coat hangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.